Every format causes problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a N751JK Asus laptop which was just sent back to them because it failed. For the second time I had a problem with my motherboard, it just wouldn't charge anymore. Again, they provided me with a new motherboard. The first time I had no problems. This time however..
I have a few DVD's with different versions of Windows 10, I make them with the media creater tool. I have a paid version of Windows 10 pro.
Yesterday I got my laptop back and I immediately did a clean install. The result was that I could not open start, no apps and no working Windows update. So I tried again, the same result. I used another DVD and got the same result again.
I then created a bootable USB stick with the latest Windows 10 (creators) with Rufus this time. I enabled secure boot in the bios and got to work.
Unfortunately the result was the same problem: start menu was not working, no apps and no Windows update. After a bit of searching around I got the start menu working but the windows update would just not work.
I don't know what to do anymore. Can somebody point me in the right direction?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
You say.......
Yesterday I got my laptop back and I immediately did a clean install.
How did you go about this?
Did you delete the partitions that were present on the hard drive that were associated with your existing install of Windows 10?

What I like to do when I'm experiencing problems such as you are describing is to test the install with a new user account that is a member of the local administrators group to see if the issue is unique to a particular profile or if it more global, indicating an issue with the windows installation itself

Try this
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding file extensions of known types then it will likely just say "cmd" without the .exe (extension) visible
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith

Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).

Reaction score
You say.......

Did you delete the partitions that were present on the hard drive that were associated with your existing install of Windows 10?

What I like to do when I'm experiencing problems such as you are describing is to test the install with a new user account that is a member of the local administrators group to see if the issue is unique to a particular profile or if it more global, indicating an issue with the windows installation itself

Try this
Go to
Find
Cmd.exe (if you are hiding file extensions of known types then it will likely just say "cmd" without the .exe (extension) visible
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter

Obviously it doesn't have to be "JohnSmith". Any Tom, Dick or Sally should work fine (dealers choice).

I deleted the partitions (SSD & HDD) and reformatted them.
WIndows was installed on the SSD, like always.
The HDD I divided in four partitions for my documents.

I will try your suggestion and I'll come back with the result.

Reaction score
You say.......

Try this
Go to
Find
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter

I just tried your suggestion and almost everything works on this. I can use start and see the apps.
With Windows Update I get the following error: 0xc80003fa.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just tried your suggestion and almost everything works on this. I can use start and see the apps.
With Windows Update I get the following error: 0xc80003fa.
That error has been around a long time and generally involves the contents of the Software Distribution folder
Since most things seem to be working better with a new user profile, you might want to try this
https://aka.ms/wudiag

That's the Windows 10 update diagnostic tool from Microsoft.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter
See if that produces any relief.

Reaction score
Wolfie, I've tried your suggestion and it does not work. Still get the error after I did everything.
Trouble, the troubleshooter cannot run on my laptop. I think it is because windows update is not working.

After they first replaced my motherboard I got the laptop back in the orginal state when I bought it.
The second time it was just how I sent it back, with a lot of files missing. That is why I got to format because I couldn't work on it anymore. I also don't seem to have a product key anymore. Last time I could see it was named BIOS OEM or something like that. Could this be a reason for all my problems? Then maybe I should just contact Asus again.

Reaction score
Do you still have a "Recovery partition" on your rig?, if you do, when you first boot; press F11 (or whatever key it is on your computer) to get into recovery mode!. Most modern computers have it and you just need to check what button to press at boot-up to enter it!. :)

Ask a Question