Experiencing slight pause every four seconds

Reaction score
For many weeks, whenever I play audio files (e.g., MP3s, using the Groove Music app) or video files (e.g., MP4, using the Movies & TV app), I notice a very slight pause about every four seconds; the pause is accompanied by a barely audible buzzing noise. I'm guessing the pause is affecting all running apps but I'm only noticing it when playing audio/video files.

I've closed all other open applications, including nearly every item in the system tray. Task Manager hasn't helped identify the problem; I don't see any spikes (in CPU, Memory, Disk, Network, or GPU) corresponding to the issue; I don't see any apps or background processes taking up large amounts of resources. Windows Defender does not report any issues.

This is a Dell desktop PC running Windows 10 1803. It has 20GB of RAM, a 512GB SSD C: drive, and a 750GB HDD D: drive.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Are you sure about the 20GB of RAM? That's a weird size. Try downloading Pot Player (my favorite) or VLC. Play your files through one of those programs and see if the issue stops. If not then you might want to check and make sure you have the latest sound card/chip drivers. If it still doesn't stop the issue you might have a failing SSD or HDD. I would check who the manufacturer of those drive are and run their diagnostics tool.

Reaction score
Yes, 20GB. 2x8GB + 2x2GB :)

I experience the issue with VLC.

I believe the issue started when I installed Build 1803. :(

I checked Dell's website; I have the latest BIOS and chipset drivers. I'm using the motherboard's sound; however, I don't think it's a sound driver issue. I just realized that the whole system experiences the interruption; even mouse movement is affected.

Last edited:

Ask a Question