SOLVED Expired Password

Reaction score
I created a local user account on my PC months ago and never used it after setting it up. I just clicked to open the account and Windows informed me that the password had expired, input a new password and the account opened just fine.
Is this a MS protocol, if accounts/passwords expire if accounts haven't been active for some time?
It seems kind of strange to me, that MS would do this. I'm also wondering if this is related someway to the posts we see "Can't log in using password" Any thoughts!

Reaction score
I found the problem. Local Security Policy, the maximum password age is 42 days by default, I set it to 0 "Never expire" in the LSP > Account Policies > Password Policies.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When I see one of these posts I never know if it's Pro or Home.
So suggesting gpedit.msc (Group Policy Editor), secpol.msc (local security policy editor) or lusrmgr.msc (local user account manager) which are usually unique to "Pro" is no always helpful.
Personally I always use lusrmgr.msc and the properties of the user account to set "Password never expires"

Capture1.PNG

I believe that an elevated command prompt using
net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited
will accomplish the same thing
Although I don't have a home version to test it on.

Reaction score
Trouble I use Windows 10 Pro. Thanks for pointing out the O/S ommission in my original post.

Ask a Question