Ext hard drive not registering

Reaction score
After upgrading to Win 10 I cannot find the 2tb ext hard rive .Drive3 is ok as the light is on and it registers in printer and drives but cannot seem to open it

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Right click the Start Button and choose Disk Management.
Is it listed there?
Does it have a drive letter?

Reaction score
not listed in disk management
Listed in control panel under devices and printers but no drive letter

Reaction score
Go back to Disk Management and assign a Drive letter and make sure it is formatted NTFS.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
not listed in disk management
If you are certain that it is not listed in Disk Management at all ( and not merely present without a drive letter).
You may be running into something that I had an initial problem with, with respect to a couple external USB device when I first upgraded to Windows 10.
Without the external drive connected, go into Device Manager (right click the start button and choose it from the context menu).
Expand portable device and uninstall everything listed there with a faded icon (indicating that the device is not connected) by simply right clicking them individually and choosing "uninstall".
When you have those cleaned up then reboot your computer, attach the drive normally and see what happens.
Are you hearing the typical windows default sound when you are connecting and disconnecting USB devices?

Ask a Question