External Drives and Drive Letters

Reaction score
After upgrading to windows 10 i have noticed that when i plug an usb external drive into my computer i have to assign a drive letter before i can use the drive.

This only happens to my laptop my second computer a PC is ok and the drives just work normally.

Any ideas please

Reaction score
A small query. Is this the same External drive, each time? I ask, as I frequently do this. I have all my secure material on my ext, and only plug it in when needed. It reassigns the same letter each time.

Reaction score
A small query. Is this the same External drive, each time? I ask, as I frequently do this. I have all my secure material on my ext, and only plug it in when needed. It reassigns the same letter each time.

Hi davehc

Yes it is the same two external drives sometime it reassigns the same drive letter but almost all the time it does not assign any drive letter at all, and i then have to do it manually.

If i plugin a thumb drive it works ok no problem at all it just with these two external drives both are formatted with NTFS and are 500GB & 1000GB

But they work perfectly on my PC its just the laptop and that makes me think the drives are ok it must be somthing on the laptop.

Ask a Question