External DVD player not working

Reaction score
Since upgrading to Win 10 my external Samsung SE-208 DVD player doesn't work. It appears in device manager which says there is nothing wrong.
I've updated the firmware and device manager says the driver is the latest for the device. However, data, video DVD's and music will not appear in file manager in the device and do not play.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi,

Have you tried yet to remove device via Device Manager then reboot computer to allow it to be re-detected.

That may allow the system to reset its communication to the device.

Regedit32

Reaction score
What app do you have installed to play a DVD with?

Also is it safe to assume all the DVDs you are trying are not blue rays?

I ask that because the Windows DVD player in the MS Store did not offer blue ray support when it was released. That may have changed now; I'd need to check again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried playing a retail music CD in that player as a test?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow-up.
I was just wanting to try a retail music CD to confirm that it wasn't a media issue. I wouldn't think that you would be having trouble with all those media types.

When you connect the same external drive to another PC, does it work? Especially Windows 8 or newer OS.
What interface cable are you using (USB, Firewire, other)?

I ask because I just grabbed my old LG Slim Portable DVD Writer, Model GP50NB40, USB 2.0, out of my older Windows 7 Pro laptop bag and jacked it into my Windows 10 64 bit Pro computer, inserted a Widows 7 Pro DVD and it worked automatically. I didn't have to do anything, no firmware update, no drivers needed to be installed. The drive was recognized in Device Manager, Disk Management and File Explorer and could read the media without issue.

That's as close as I can come to trying to replicate your problem. I've searched for other people with a similar problem with that particular device and could only find this
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-8/72b81a79-8eb9-4726-823d-9deace345c08
Which while pretty vague, might suggest that the drive might not be compatible with Windows 8 or later Operating Systems, while apparently working fine with Windows 7.

Sorry I can't be of any further help with this issue.

Reaction score
The odd thing is it can see the drive, it can even eject the tray. It simply can't read that there is a disc in it. Perhaps it isn't compatible. Luckily it wasn't expensive.

Reaction score
I have the same problem with a samsung SE-208. This dvd drive DID work on this toshiba laptop before. I have tried deleting the drivers too. Windows usually sees the drive (not always), but generally keeps rescanning, then eventually the drive spins like it is trying to take off. I have tried music and data disks (tried to load turbotax).
There is no driver support for this drive on the samsung site.

Ask a Question