SOLVED External Harddrives not recognized

Reaction score
So I just fired up a new desktop PC yesterday and noticed my two external HDs (one by Toshiba and one by Seagate) won't work in any of the 4 USB ports in the back or won't work in the single port in the front of the unit. I've verified the ports respond to both my [wired] mouse and keyboard in good order - which leads me to believe the ports are viable.

A bit of searching and reading leads me to think maybe I'm missing some pertinent drivers for these external devices, but I'm uncertain how to verify that fact since my system doesn't recognize they are even plugged in.

Before heading to the store to buy something new, I'd like your thoughts.

Reaction score
RIght-click the Start button, click Device Manager [upper part of the content menu] then check that you have USB drivers loading. A couple of words to look for, Enhanced [for USB 2.0] and something about USB 3 or eXtensible.

Reaction score
RIght-click the Start button, click Device Manager [upper part of the content menu] then check that you have USB drivers loading. A couple of words to look for, Enhanced [for USB 2.0] and something about USB 3 or eXtensible.
Thank you for the advice. However, I purchased a new Ext HD which works good from the get-go.

Ask a Question