SOLVED External HDD recognition

Reaction score
Dell 8910 desktop. I bought an external kit to operate/examine hard drives which connects to the computer via usb. There is sound when I plug it in but the drive does not appear under the C:/ drive menu. I can not examine the contents if it does not show. It does show in the disk management menu so it is there. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
File Explorer and the earlier Windows Explorer use the backslash \ in describing the path name while the Internet addresses use the forward slash /.

The sound only indicates something has been plugged in such as an External USB drive, a Portable USB drive or other USB device. If a drive won't show in File Explorer look in Disk Management, if shown there it usually means it doesn't have a drive letter assigned which should occur after a drive is partitioned then formatted. Once that occurs a drive letter can be assigned from any that are listed as available.

In the Notification Area there usually is an icon for Safely Remove device, the USB case/adapter may show there instead of the actual drive.

Reaction score
Not exactly sure what you mean by the C: drive menu? An external would not appear under a pure isolated C: windows. To se the Ext, use "This PC", or the nav pane.

Reaction score
Attached .pdf shows the device manager with a 320gb hdd showing that it has been used to record. There is no drive letter. The device does not appear on file explorer. I could find nothing in the notification area.

Attachments

• HDD1.pdf
    50.3 KB · Views: 251
Reaction score
Found a way to add a drive letter. It works. Thanks to all for your help.

Ask a Question