SOLVED External USB 2 drive

Reaction score
Hi,

I have tried to search the world and found nothing that could help me.

I have installed Windows 10 on a Hp Compaq 8000 Elite SFF pc. I have used it since release and have had no issues until now.

I have 2 external USB 2 drives that I could access before but cannot access now. I can access them on my Windows 7 laptop with no problems and the data is all there.

When I look in disk management, I find that the disk does show there but it's weird.

It shows it has a primary partition the same size as the disk ie 2Tb (1.8Tb logical space) but it says Capacity is 1.8Tb and free is 1.8Tb. It does exactly the same thing with my other USB 2 drive which is 500Gb

When I plug in my USB 3 500Gb drive then there is no problem. I can see the drive and access the data.

Has anyone come across this before?

I have tried uninstalling device drivers but nothing appears to work. I have attached a screenshot of disk management.

Attachments

• Disk.png
    Disk.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 497
Reaction score
Just ran Diskpart and it shows the partition as being offline

Attachments

• Disk2.png
    Disk2.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 504

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you considered, using the Disk Management utility to assign it a Drive Letter.
It doesn't appear to have one in your attached DMgmt image

Reaction score
I was a bit loath to assign a drive letter in case it wiped the partition information and would have to perform a recover of about 1.5Tb of data.

It appears, though, that I have fixed the issue. I looked up the command to online a volume in diskpart and lo and behold it worked.

Brought the volume back online without a drive letter but now disk management was showing the correct usage data so assigned a drive letter and voila...

I have been search for most part of today for a solution and was pulling my hair out. If only I had gone to diskpart first.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I use DiskPart all the time, but I rarely recommend it, as it's not particularly user friendly and can result in unintended consequences if you're not familiar with the commands and their syntax.
I'm pretty sure that the Disk Management utility would have assigned your drive letter, and then reported more accurate information, but....
I'm glad to hear that you managed to sort it out on your own and thanks for keeping us updated on your solution.

Ask a Question