SOLVED Failure to upgrade, W7 to W10. Black screen of death.

Reaction score
Windows 10 failed to install properly - no apps. Reverting to Windows 7 failed so paid to have the mess cleared up (incompatible ante virus) and Windows 10 installed - May 18th. All working well then went on holiday.
7th June, Computer turns on and all appears to load but no signal to the monitor. Suspect a windows update in the mean time. Can't check with no screen also can't give many details of computer but see below. Can't alter boot order to reinstall for same reason. Where from here?
Foxconn mobo in Novatech box no separate graphics card.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can't alter boot order to reinstall for same reason
Obviously, we're going to need a viewable monitor to have any hopes of diagnosis and or repair, so.....
IF you are not seeing any POST (Power On Self Test) data being produced on the screen after a restart, you should probably first
Check the power cable to the monitor
Check the interface cable, both ends.... monitor and PC
Test the monitor on another computer if that is an option to confirm that it works.
Try a hard reboot.
Power it off, disconnect it from the wall (AC power), remove the motherboard battery, press and hold the power button and count to 30.
Replace the motherboard battery, reconnect the AC power, press the power button and see if it lights up.
IF not.....
Any noise
Any beeps
Any reason to suspect the PSU is bad
Check and confirm all memory modules, CPU, as well as any add on cards are firmly seated and that the interior including heat sink and any fans are reasonably free of critters.

Reaction score
May 18th. All working well then went on holiday. 7th June,
Have you checked the monitor itself was there any lightening in your area. Maybe the monitor was effected by a lightning strike and maybe the smoke got out?

Reaction score
Obviously, we're going to need a viewable monitor to have any hopes of diagnosis and or repair, so.....
IF you are not seeing any POST (Power On Self Test) data being produced on the screen after a restart, you should probably first
Check the power cable to the monitor
Check the interface cable, both ends.... monitor and PC
Test the monitor on another computer if that is an option to confirm that it works.
Try a hard reboot.
Power it off, disconnect it from the wall (AC power), remove the motherboard battery, press and hold the power button and count to 30.
Replace the motherboard battery, reconnect the AC power, press the power button and see if it lights up.
IF not.....
Any noise
Any beeps
Any reason to suspect the PSU is bad
Check and confirm all memory modules, CPU, as well as any add on cards are firmly seated and that the interior including heat sink and any fans are reasonably free of critters.

Thanks Noob Whisperer,
Checked cables and connections. Monitor displays manufacturers logo, neon light is amber (would normally be green when working properly), sound through monitor's speakers is working and all the usual boot up sounds can be heard.
No change when monitor connected to an alternative computer but all good when using a borrowed screen.
Seems that issue is with the monitor. Not sure if a change of driver would help or whether to bin it.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think I'd give it to whomever does the tech recycling in your area.
If I understand correctly.... It doesn't work on your computer, it doesn't work on a second computer, and your computer works fine with a different monitor.

Reaction score
I think I'd give it to whomever does the tech recycling in your area.
If I understand correctly.... It doesn't work on your computer, it doesn't work on a second computer, and your computer works fine with a different monitor.
Correct - many thanks

Ask a Question