Faliure

Reaction score
Hi.
I have trouble wth a Microsoft update. I am running Windows 10 Home, 4 GB ram 500 GB hard drive on a Toshiba satellite C50A. The issue is that Windows attempt to roll out an update.This takes several minutes. When it finishes the message "we couldn't complete the upgrade" followed by "undoing changes" Do you have any suggestions. Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Some questions... Have you had prior problems with Microsoft Updates? If so did you ever find the reason?

Have you checked for a log which might help explain where the problem lies?

What version of Win 10 are you running... type winver in a command prompt or go to settings - system and select About.

Reaction score
Hi Saltgrass thanks for your reply

I am a Insider which means on the wrong forum?

Windows 10 Home version 1607 (OS build14393479)
I have had the problem previously but I am unable to recall how that was done.

Reaction score
You may have been an insider at one time, but currently you are behind the general public release. So you may have missed a couple of updates.

Can you check your update history and see if any prior updates have failed?

If you look through your system for a setupact.log you might find several. See if one is showing the time frame when the rollback occurred. You might be able to start at the bottom and work back to see if you can pick out a fatal event prior to the rollback.

There are some current insiders floating around so they may be able to give you specifics on your build version.

Reaction score
...I am a Insider which means on the wrong forum?
Windows 10 Home version 1607 (OS build14393.479)...
Not an Insider Build.
You have the latest Current Branch.
They have 3 Current Branches, Yours is also called the Anniversary Update (AU).

Hi.
I have trouble wth a Microsoft update. I am running Windows 10 Home, 4 GB ram 500 GB hard drive on a Toshiba satellite C50A. The issue is that Windows attempt to roll out an update.This takes several minutes. When it finishes the message "we couldn't complete the upgrade" followed by "undoing changes" Do you have any suggestions. Thank you for your help.
You can download & install it manually.
http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Home.aspx
Search for: KB3213986

If it still doesn't update, there are some fixes that might work depending on how it's failing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You may have been an insider at one time, but currently you are behind the general public release. So you may have missed a couple of updates.

Can you check your update history and see if any prior updates have failed?

If you look through your system for a setupact.log you might find several. See if one is showing the time frame when the rollback occurred. You might be able to start at the bottom and work back to see if you can pick out a fatal event prior to the rollback.

There are some current insiders floating around so they may be able to give you specifics on your build version.

Ask a Question