February 2020’s Patch Tuesday KB4532693 update for Windows 10 1903 is causing users pain.

Reaction score
The update took ages to complete, just sitting there all day and night with a plain grey screen (it wasn’t jet black) and plenty of disc activity. I already have a large post-it on my ASUS N55S stating this is now the trademark of a Win10 1903 update underway. I should draw some tears on it. I had to shut down twice to get it to complete.

After the update, Logon was troublesome until I worked out the update had reset the language to English-US rather than my default UK. The ability to change language on the logon screen had gone so I had to imitate a US keyboard. My user profile went missing as did my custom icons, my desktop and Start Menu were reset to Microsoft default, and my desktop files had gone missing. Microsoft Office Applications had all been set back to never-been-used status and all their histories and preferred settings had been wiped. Google Chrome was replaced by Edge as the default browser and, when started, Google Chrome was in brand new state with all my histories, settings, privacy, site blocks/allowances and add-ins removed including Adblock.

With relief I discovered that my User data in C:/Users is still there and seems intact, but there is now a new user folder alongside named TEMP (it echoes with emptiness). The Quick Links to Desktop, Documents etc all point to this TEMP user, not my normal User that I logged in with.

Some other forums suggest try restarting 3 times but that just succeeded in removing any changes I had done since the update earlier today (e.g. new shortcuts, Chrome setup, language change to UK…).

Registry patching has also been suggested but I’m not confident that I’ve found all the issues yet and therefore it could be a long haul (and risky) to get to a good state.

Hopefully Uninstalling today’s updates should return me to a good pre-update state and I’ll set my network to public for a while. For me it was a set of 3 : KB4532693 Win 10 1903 cumulative update, KB4534132 .Net Framework, KB4537759 Adobe Flash Player

Wasted a whole day on this so far.

Surprisingly, Microsoft does not list any known issues associated with KB4532693 and a search on this forum could find no mention of it (maybe I wasn’t looking in the right place. There are lots of hits for it elsewhere on the web.

Hope this helps others out there.

I’ll post back on the Uninstall outcome.

Reaction score
not sure why your having issues, but several recommendations as per MS.
1. disable or remove any 3d party AV-malware-security suites.
2. enable UAC to default
3. SFC /scannow ( to fix any System File Corruption) yes windows will run with some SFC
4. defrag your HD or Trim you SSD prior to.
5. change your browser to default to Edge (yes then after reset to your preference) some Browsers see part of Windows updates as
"BadNewsBear"
6. Reenable Cortana
7. many member who have VAMT3.1 installed (uninstall) command prompt as admin - adksetup.exe /promptrestart /ceip on /quiet /uninstall

Reaction score
Really haven't seen many issues with this WU at all. Most of us got the KB4532693 and The (KB4538674) SSU Myself I downloaded the SSU update first and manually installed it first Then the I installed the KB4532693 again Manually, finally the KB4534132 Net.Framework Security update. I have always found it easier to manually install these updates.
It sounds like in your case your OS may be in need of repair before you run these updates. I would run these DISM tools and see if that helps

Type CMD
Select to run cmd.exe as Admin
copy and paste each tool one at a time they will take quite a while to complete depending on how many repairs are actually made.
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
SFC /scannow Run this 3 times it will take quite a while to complete any repairs left from the first two tool runs.
chkdsk C: /f Same old Chkdsk we have always run.

Reaction score
Looks like the OP hasn't come back. He did state in his OP that he was updating 1903, I'm wondering if that was a misstatement? if not then he may be having issues with installing 1909. My reply was based on my thinking he was actually updating 1909.
If he is still in 1903 then Wolfie has the correct solution as a repair Install of 1909 should fix his issues Then he could manually download and install the current WU's. Either way, he may have to Repair his current OS to get any upgrade/Update to run.

Reaction score
I am wondering if he even, accidentally, came into the wrong forum!
three previous posts in a thread, about three years ago.

Ask a Question