Fighting security problems since going to Windows 10 Pro

Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to install a program, EVEN run a progroam, I get access denied errors or similar.
A program I've had installed for a few weeks, and have run many times gave me an access error on a file 3 layers deep in the Program Data folder.
I was the first user on the system, and I'm in the Admin group. That program I just mentioned gave me same error when I tried Run as Administrator.
I've changed some security settings and added myself to key folders. I'm sure I shouldn't do that, but it's the only way I can run some things.
Windows 10 seems pretty stupid about security. If I'm in Admin group, and Administrator or Administrator group has all permissions, why shouldn't I?
It's making me grumpy.
099.gif

I'm attaching an example of Process explorer (sure most of you are familiar with it) running from Admin login and running from my login. On my login, this has concerned me for some time, it shows Access Denied and/or Error opening on several processes.
If there is an error opening a process that Windows thinks is necessary, I feel it's likely to cause problems. And for an error to occur out of the blue on a program I installed weeks ago...

If there was a way to clean the slate on all security settings and start fresh, that's what I would try.
There is one thing I'll mention. I heard somewhere that you should NEVER enable the built in Admin Account. Well that's fine and dandy, but it's been the only way I could function on many occassions. But if there is something to that, it has not had an impact on my laptop. It's not given me any major security problems, at least not since the upgrade to the current build.But, to be fair, I don't use the laptop nearly as much as the desktop.

Are you guys gonna tell me I need to reinstall Windows to fix it?

Help, Gurus. I'm getting really frustrated with security issues.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

• Process explorer runs error free in Admin account resize.jpg
    Process explorer runs error free in Admin account resize.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 541
  • Process explorer runs with several access denied and errors opening in ckbeme account resized.jpg
    Process explorer runs with several access denied and errors opening in ckbeme account resized.jpg
    992.7 KB · Views: 589

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I think you're over thinking it.
Whenever you run the tools from Sysinternals / Winternals (Autoruns, Process Explorer, Process Monitor, etc., etc.) you need to right click the executable and choose "Run as Administrator". That elevates the applications access to the level of your account, so.....
IF your account is in fact a member of the local administrators group (not the built-in, normally disabled / hidden Administrator account), then you shouldn't see the errors you are seeing, which all or at least most seem to be Windows system processes anyway, so they shouldn't actually concern you for the most part, unless you are experiencing some actual problem with your computer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
"I think you're over thinking it."

Agreed. in fact, i am signed in with a normal MS account. Without embellishment or altering security, Process explorer runs for me on a left click.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't think it is a question as to IF it runs, it is how to run it properly. IF you are not logged in as hidden admin or if you do not have your User Access Control cranked down to nothing, then running it with out the right click "run as administrator" will result in the errors (not really errors) the OP is seeing (if you add the additional columns to the view).
I get the same thing

Capture3.JPG

Reaction score
Ok. Best I stay out of the thread. Obviously I am missing something in the exchange - lol.

Both.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey Dave.
IF you look at the images the OP has attached and the images that I have attached you'll notice that in both you will see a bunch of "Access Denied" under the "User Name" column as well as a few "Error Opening Process" under the "Path" column.
When I run it by right click "Run as Administrator" they don't show the same
"As Administrator"

As Admin.JPG

Not "As Administrator"

Not As Admin.JPG

Reaction score
OK. I think I am (partly) with you.
I am reasonably happy with the MS security configuration. Should a reason arise, for examination etc, it is quite easy under those circumstances to change the security of single items. Most of the "run as Admin" requirements are for the purpose of trying to make it difficult for the lowest common denominator user (that is a greater percentage) to alter something which can affect undefined portions of the OS and cause unsolvable (in some cases) difficulties.
Keeps forums busy though!

Reaction score
I think you're over thinking it.
Whenever you run the tools from Sysinternals / Winternals (Autoruns, Process Explorer, Process Monitor, etc., etc.) you need to right click the executable and choose "Run as Administrator". That elevates the applications access to the level of your account, so.....
IF your account is in fact a member of the local administrators group (not the built-in, normally disabled / hidden Administrator account), then you shouldn't see the errors you are seeing, which all or at least most seem to be Windows system processes anyway, so they shouldn't actually concern you for the most part, unless you are experiencing some actual problem with your computer.

Hey Trouble,

Thanks for your input. You say I'm "overthinkiing it: from my initial post:

When I got the Accesss Denied error on a program I've used often, then my brain starts going into a mode that could easily be called "overthinking". Secuurity is not one of my strong points. I'd really like to understand it more, maybe some day I'll have time to do some reading on the subject.

I understand, based on your reply, those messages about Windows/system files are nothing to be concerned about. So, I will run as Admin going forward.
I also told you in my post that I had added myself to key folders permissions in the past. Can't even give you a reason or example now, but at the time I could not use Run as Admin. So I made the change and gave myself permissions, got the issue resolved, and put myself back where I was before.

I'm in the Admin group that Windows put me in when I installed Win 10 pro. And that looks like the same group that the Administrator account is in.
I have enabled that built in Admin account before, to get something done, then disabled it again.

The error on that program, for example, I enabled the Admin account long enough to go into the permisisions and give Administrators group read write and execute permissions on that sub folder and files.
I don't know any other way I could have resolved that issue.

The few times I have changed any permissions, I always try to remember to put things back how they were. But I'm sure I have left things hanging out there.
Anway, I heard of and d/l a program Windows Repair Tool which has several windows items that it will clean up for you. One of those is security. It will put security back to default on any folders/files that have changed from the install setting. I ran that earlier today.

So hopefully that will repair my transgressions! I did make one very bad decision. I had it repair file associations. Oh My Oh My. Never should have done that. It didn't break ALL of my file assoc, but it did break several. Live and learn.

Well, Trouble you did ease my mind when you said the process explorer errors didn't mean anything. The main reason I flipped a little was because of that perfectly fine program suddenly stopping. And since I had messed with permissions some , I thought this was payback!!

Thanks again for your wisdom.

Ask a Question