File and Print sharing problem on LAN

Reaction score
I am running Windows 10 Home v 1511 along side a linux box running Ubuntu server. Until recently I had no issues sharing both printer and files. Now, in order for the two machines to exchange SMB packets, I first have to navigate to the WINS tab under the Windows Advanced TCP/IP settings, set the Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP button and then set the Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP button and then reboot. This is a cumbersome procedure but I at least get results. I am looking for a more permanent solution of course.

Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have a read through this thread here
https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/cant-see-nas-in-explorer.762/
See if anything mentioned there with respect to altering SMB might help
Thanks for getting back. I read through the comments and tried one of the commands listed in one of the posts. The problem I have still persists however I found that if I boot up and then simply re-start again, I can get the SMB packets to flow. So, still working on a reliable solution.

Reaction score
I take it back. Go to the my original description. The only reliable fix is to reset the TCP/IP buttons (as described) and re-boot. Must be a better way.

Ask a Question