File Explorer crashes

Reaction score
When scrolling down thru Documents, I get to a certain point and File Explorer crashes and disappears. It happens consistently at the same place every time, where documents start with "P".
Any suggestions?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Any image (pictures), video or music files in your "documents" folder.
Typically these would be located in their respective appropriate folders not "documents" but some folks use their documents folder as a general collection area.

Reaction score
Yes, I have all kinds of stuff in Documents, and it's been that way for a long time. Only recently started having this problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a test try changing this

Thumbnails.JPG

Check the box.
Also, on the off chance that you are showing / using the Preview Pane..... try toggling that off as well.

See if that makes any difference with the problem you are having.

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest in helping me with this -- and I appreciate your signature line! Are you also known as Randy? I am Phil.

I checked the "Always show icons" box but it did not fix the problem. And I do not use the preview pane.

I'm starting to suspect I may have a bad sector on my SSD.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OH well..... was worth a shot. I thought that perhaps a very old problem had returned for a visit.
Are you also known as Randy?
Not a particularly closely guarded secret. Yep.... That's me.
I am Phil.
Very pleased to have made your acquaintance Phil. Thanks for taking the time to join the forum.
I'm starting to suspect I may have a bad sector on my SSD.
That is a very narrow and specific problem to suspect a hard drive fault, especially an SSD.
Heck ..... I wasn't even aware that SSDs still had sectors.
Perhaps the SSD manufacturer has a utility you can use to inspect the drive for errors.
I was under the impression that most SSDs maintained reserve areas and if a particular section of the drive was experiencing errors that it would stop using that and replace it with one from its' reserves.

Reaction score
That is what SSDs do. It is called 'overprovisioning'

This video is quite good on the subject

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
When scrolling down thru Documents, I get to a certain point and File Explorer crashes and disappears. It happens consistently at the same place every time, where documents start with "P".
While I have no idea what is causing the problem
I have to think that, with that specificity and precise symptom, the hard disk may not be the issue.
I may be wrong but I would expect more symptoms with perhaps a broader range of effect.
I think I would start with booting the System into Safe Mode to see if the problem persisted.
Then Safe Mode with Networking and test further.
Then maybe a Clean Boot and see what that produced.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Ask a Question