File explorer not working

Reaction score
Hello Everyone !

I have 2 accounts set up on my machine (mine : administrator, my mother's : normal user). Everything works perfectly fine for me, but on my mother's account, it loads and then : black screen. I tried Crt+alt+del : Success ! I can access the task manager. I thought that it may be a problem with the file explorer not launching. I then switched to my account and killed the explorer.exe task. It did exactly what I was observing on my mother's account, so I thought that I just had to execute it on my mother's account.
So I switched to my mother's account, tried launching explorer.exe through the task manager (File > Execute a new task)... And nothing ! I had no problem launching Firefox this way though.

I hope I gave enough information. If you need more, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks in advance for your help !!!

Reaction score
I didn't see this earlier but will have to comment that File Explorer [and the older Windows Explorer] is pretty much the heart of Windows, if it doesn't work properly there really isn't much one can do in Windows. Could be her Profile is corrupted, I'd try creating a new one with a slightly different name, reboot into it and see if it works. If so the old one can be removed with a choice of keeping or deleting associated data files.

Ask a Question