SOLVED File Explorer printing

Reaction score
When in file explorer, I sometimes want to print out the list of names of the folders and files for reference or to bump against another list of names of folders and files. The "share" option lists 'printer' but does not work properly. It only wants to print photos. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Ed.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello Ed and welcome to the forum.
Does anyone know what I'm talking about?
Good question and the answer is..... I'm not sure I do, but.....
When I want to print the contents of a folder or other item that doesn't particularly lend itself to conventional print commands, I use the native Windows Snipping Tool and either use the Window snip or the Rectangle snip to get just those items in the window that I want to print.
That'll create an image and then you can print that.
Click the Start Button -> All Apps -> Snipping Tool (right click it and pin it to your taskbar), that's what I've done, because I use it all the time to capture a window or some content or other portion of a window.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you'd rather just have a text file that you can print, then.....
Use file explorer to navigate then
Hold the shift key and right click the folder that contains the items you want to list and choose "Open command window here"
In the command prompt windows type
dir /b > ListOfFiles.txt
That will produce a text file called ListOfFiles.txt in the root of that directory which you can then open with notepad and print to your printer.

Reaction score
Hold the shift key and right click the folder that contains the items you want to list and choose "Open command window here"
dir /b > ListOfFiles.txt
That will produce a text file called ListOfFiles.txt in the root of that directory which you can then open with notepad and print to your printer.

I found the snipping tool under Windows Accessories in the All Apps list. Thanks, Ed.

Reaction score
dir /b > ListOfFiles.txt
Thank you. This gave me the list of file names, but I also need the date modified for each file. How can I get the file names and dates modified to print?

Reaction score
If you want to see the date modified, in explorer click on the folder (eg. documents) click on view located at the top in the tool bar and select details. It will show the dates folders were modified, then use the procedure as explained above by @Trouble

Reaction score
If you want to see the date modified, in explorer click on the folder (eg. documents) click on view located at the top in the tool bar and select details. It will show the dates folders were modified, then use the procedure as explained above by @Trouble
Thank you, but I was already displaying the details when I did the procedure, and the only thing that ended up in the text file was the file names.

Ask a Question