SOLVED File in use by another application or user...

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. For the past three weeks or so, every time I open a Word document, a window pops up saying "the file is in use by another application or user." How do I make this stop?

Reaction score
Hi NikkiT3,

do you have more than one user on your system or are you running a home network with other household members?. Before you click on a Word doc, open "Task Manager" and see if Word is running in the background or set to run at Start-up!. ;)

Reaction score
Hi NikkiT3,

do you have more than one user on your system or are you running a home network with other household members?. Before you click on a Word doc, open "Task Manager" and see if Word is running in the background or set to run at Start-up!. ;)
Hi, Wolfie! Thanks so much for your response. In the meantime, it occurred to me to investigate potential issues with Firefox, since that is the browser running while I open the Word docs. I decided to Google "how to stop Firefox from downloading Word files..." I came across an article about "refreshing" Firefox. I went to the FF website and refreshed it. Guess what? Problem solved. I've been dealing with this for three weeks and kept thinking that Windows--or Word--was the problem. It didn't occur to me that it could be the browser. Problem solved--at least for now. Thank you!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Yeah....just keep that in mind from now on, that your browsers need to be refreshed from time to time. That said, you can use Ccleaner to do that on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. It's free.

Ask a Question