'File is no longer located in... Verify the item's location and try again.'

han

Reaction score
Hi, I've been getting this error every time I try to delete a file. I can't open it or rename it, and even using command prompt it can't even locate the file to delete. The problem could be that there's a full stop at the end of the name, and when I downloaded it I had file extensions showing.
Any solutions would be appreciated, this is really bugging me.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sounds a bit like the file has either....
Already been renamed or deleted and the information is not being refreshed.
I suppose you have tried rebooting the computer just to confirm that the file(s) are still showing (if not actually present)??
Where are the files located? Are they on your desktop? What type of file (file extension) is it?

han

Reaction score
I've tried booting normally and without any startup applications running, but it's still there.
As for the location, it's in a folder in my downloads. There isn't even a file extension showing, as in the name just says file.

Reaction score
I have seen this many times over the years. The way I have fixed it has worked every time. I use Robocopy. I create an empty folder on my C drive called Purge I then run robocopy with the following command line:
RoboCopy C:\Purge C:\FolderWithLockedFile /mir
The mir switch forces a purge of any extra files.
"C:\FolderWithLockedFile" represents the path where the file is locked. If there are spaces in the path use quotation marks around the path.

Ask a Question