File Paths Are Messed Up

Reaction score
Over time I ended up with "Documents" in four locations. I have the following:

C:\Documents = 81 items counting Folders & Files
C:\Documents\Documents = 106 items
C:\Users\Wayne\Documents = 48 items
C:\Users\wayne\Desktop\Documents = 108 items

Many of these, of course, are duplicated files or folders and I would like to get organized whereby I have only one location for documents. I would like the location to be what was probably intended by the Windows 10 Pro software in the first place, although I know there is some ability to change file paths if you want to. I want the shortest file path that makes organizational sense. In the past I have done drag & drop and/or copy/paste but somehow things went wrong and after amalgamating files the last time and then deleting files from the old locations, I managed to delete the files completely. And.......they didn't show up in the Recycle Bin ? I have an external backup drive E:........but I even had trouble finding the missing files there (eventually I did click on the proper folder I guess and they reappeared later in C: drive) but I hesitate to go thru that again without guidance. So my question is simply, how do I manipulate the four file paths and end up with documents in one location with one file path. If I end up with a few duplicates (renamed by Windows) I can manually compare those files. Also will that mean I have to change file paths in some programs so the program can find a file when required ? I am okay using "Command Prompt" but I assume there may be other ways. Please keep it as simple as possible.

Reaction score
First I would suggest that you create a system Image or Back-up C:\ Drive.

Open File explore > C: > Users. For every user listed there should be a Documents Folder.
Your documents seem to be all over the place, is there more than one user using the PC?
I don't know what the correct procedure would be to correct this,

Personally I would go through all of the docs, delete the duplicates,

Drag and drop the docs you want to keep to a CD or external drive.

Revisit the 4 locations and delete the documents within the folders.

Select the location where you want to save your .docs example C:\Users\Wayne\Documents then drag and drop them in the preferred Users\Documents folder.

When saving a document always point in the right direction ex. C:\Users\Wayne\Documents to save the file.

Reaction score
First I would suggest that you create a system Image or Back-up C:\ Drive.

Open File explore > C: > Users. For every user listed there should be a Documents Folder.
Your documents seem to be all over the place, is there more than one user using the PC?
I don't know what the correct procedure would be to correct this,

Personally I would go through all of the docs, delete the duplicates,

Drag and drop the docs you want to keep to a CD or external drive.

Revisit the 4 locations and delete the documents within the folders.

Select the location where you want to save your .docs example C:\Users\Wayne\Documents then drag and drop them in the preferred Users\Documents folder.

When saving a document always point in the right direction ex. C:\Users\Wayne\Documents to save the file.
I have a backup drive, when I open file explorer there is a document folder for me, no one else uses my computer. I have done the drag and drop etc. and ran into problems that's why I am asking if there is a better way. I have not always been careful when saving documents which is why they ended up in folders under different file paths and that is why I'm asking if there is a way to get me out of this mess. I appreciate your reply but it does not address my issue, thanks anyway.

Ask a Question