SOLVED File Searches

Reaction score
On loading Windows 10 (upgrade from Windows 8.1), I disabled Cortana in order to do files searches on my computer in the way to which I have become accustomed. Now, however, I am given the option of searching the internet, but not my hard drive. I am sure that there is a simple fix to get around this.

Gordon
Houston, TX

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi Gordon,

The Windows 10 Search and Cortana Search are somewhat welded together now.

Both rely to some degree on Windows Indexing and thus tend to use that as the primary source for searching; this is why sometimes a file you may be trying to find will not appear in the search results, even though the file itself does exist on your hard drive. It just happens to be in a location not currently indexed.

To change that you need to modify the Indexing, and likewise you can remove the Internet or Web searching at the same time so that your Searches exclude Internet History for example and only search the Files on your computer.

To do this simply:
  • Right-click on Start
  • Left-click on Control Panel
  • In the Control Panel window select View by: Large icons
  • Click on Indexing Options

This will open the following window

indexing.png

Here you can see in my case Internet Explorer History is included

If you click on click on Modify button you will see a new window open like so:

indexing2.png

You can see Internet Explorer History is listed here but if you now click Show all locations button you may see a second entry for Internet Explorer History for the Administrator:

indexing3.png

Simply remove check next to these and any other area you do not want indexed.

Anything you check is included and can be indexed and therefore searched. Thus if you check OS (C:) then click the > to expand you can then go through and check subfolders to include or remove checks on subfolders to exclude.

When you are happy with your choices click OK

You'll be returned to the Indexing Options window. Here click Close button.

Reaction score
Many thanks for your reply. Yesterday was a travel day, so I regret the delay in my response. Your notes worked as advertised - for which I am grateful. The only change that I encountered was once at the Control Panel I had to click-on Indexing Options; there was no "View by Large Icons" option available.

But, it worked! Again, many thanks.

Gordon

Ask a Question