File Sharing

Reaction score
How do I connect and share files with crossover Ethernet cable , from Vista to Windows 10? Do I need to change IP addresses on each computer for home-network setup? And what about credentials (username/password) setup and use? Is it necessary, too?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I don't know, but I would expect it to work automatically.
You don't need a gateway, you don't need DNS.
Heck you may not even need a crossover cable anymore. Over the last few years I think most RJ45 interfaces are no longer MDI (Media Dependent Interface) most of MDIX and auto sense the Xover need or lack there of and handle it automatically.
IF the network adapters are left at default and no static addresses are assigned I would expect APIPA to handle the address assignment and I would expect them to just appear in each other's network map.
Give it a go, try it with and without the cross-over cable and see what happens. Let us know, I'd be interested in hearing if and how it works.
I haven't had a need to do anything like that in years I have a drawer full of dumb hubs and switches.
I can't imagine it would be much different that connecting the two through a generic hub.

Reaction score
I have no idea what you just said,... it's too technical for me. All I know is that I can't get it to work. I tried the several steps found in a youtube video,.. which was the most helpful information I found. Microsoft support was COMPLETELY USELESS! I was able to see and partially open my C: drive, by assigning a similar IP address to both computers ,.. I don't remember all of the tech-jargon to explain what I did,... But I still don't have 'permission' to open my User folder from my Vista laptop on my Windows 10 laptop? Maybe I'm close to making it happen,.. but that's been the story from the start of this mis-adventure. Does anyone really have a clue about the procedure? Oh well,.. maybe it's just not meant to be for me to eas!ily connect and use both my computers and share their files? It seems the makers of these machines just don't want that to happen?

Reaction score
Are both these computers attached ethernet to a router for networking?

If so and the networking to the Internet is working from both then make sure that file and printer sharing is turned on on both.

Then. Turn on Onedrive on each machine and copy the files to Onedrive You'll need to generate a Microsoft ID and password for yourself but that is free and harmless.

Caution. Your data will be stored in the Cloud somewhere if you object to that then Onedrive won't do it.

If you object to having a MS ID then download and use DropBox.

Ask a Question