SOLVED File system error (-1073741819)

Reaction score
Hi,

I am getting this error every time I try to install something, even Office 2013!! I cannot install any games from uPlay nor can I install the System Dump program that is on the BSOD.

I cannot even run the Command Prompt as Administrator or otherwise. Nor can I open Chkdsk to check for errors or the SFC program. I keep getting this file system error -1073741819 every time.

I have tried compatibility modes and running as administrator. If anything running as administrator makes things worse as it won't even load, eg, uPlay. This suggests it is something to do with the administrator account?

I had issues before but then miraculously, I switched the PC on in the morning and it was fine and I could install Office, but since then, I cannot install anything. Seems only .exe files that are the problem?

What is going on and how can I rectify this please?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've had a search on this and it looks like other have narrowed this down to being a problem with the sound system (I'd never have guessed). They just changed the sound scheme to "no sounds" to fix it:

Right click desktop > Personalise > Themes > Advanced Sound Settings > Sound Scheme: No Sounds

Please let me know if this works. Fingers crossed it does!

Reaction score
Utterly unbelievable!!

It worked!! What on Earth would system sounds have to do with running executable files?

Brilliant!!

Thank you so much Ian!

Reaction score
OMG it worked for me to :D Best site ever. Searched for over 10 hours of my time over the past 2 days. And finally stumbled upon this thread. NOW IT WORKS!!! I <3 YOU @Ian

Ask a Question