Final Release Questions

Reaction score
I have been one of the many Preview testers and have heard that Windows 10 will be provided frr to Windows 7 and 8 users. Will the Preview testers also get a free copy of the final release and if so, will it come as an update or from some other source? I have also heard that July 29 is the projected release date. Does this still hold true?

Michael

Reaction score
Will the Preview testers also get a free copy of the final release and if so, will it come as an update or from some other source? I have also heard that July 29 is the projected release date. Does this still hold true?

Michael

The critical point is .....
In order to be entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 10 RTM beginning July 29th, your Insider Preview HAS to be installed over a qualifying Windows such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 Update 1.
If that is the case, you will get the upgrade through Windows Update. Initial upgrade can NOT be done by way of clean install with an ISO.

If you installed the Preview on a clean hard drive/partition with no qualifying Windows installed, you are NOT entitled to a free upgrade.
You are, however, entitled to continue using the Preview and continue receiving new builds when they are released by Microsoft.
Microsoft says it will continue developing new builds and will send them to the insiders when they are ready.

Reaction score
The critical point is .....
In order to be entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 10 RTM beginning July 29th, your Insider Preview HAS to be installed over a qualifying Windows such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1 Update 1.
If that is the case, you will get the upgrade through Windows Update. Initial upgrade can NOT be done by way of clean install with an ISO.

If you installed the Preview on a clean hard drive/partition with no qualifying Windows installed, you are NOT entitled to a free upgrade.
You are, however, entitled to continue using the Preview and continue receiving new builds when they are released by Microsoft.
Microsoft says it will continue developing new builds and will send them to the insiders when they are ready.

On both my Laptop and Desktop they were installed over the existing operating system, Desktop - Windows 7 Pro and the Laptop - Windows 8.2 Home, I believe.

Michael

Reaction score
Assuming your Win 7 Pro is also SP1 installed, you will get Windows 10 Pro RTM.
Your Win 8.1.1 will get Win 10 Home RTM.

Again, you have the option of staying with the Insider Preview program and continue to receive new builds as they come along.
Meaning, you can upgrade both, or upgrade one and keep the other one as is. Your decision.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I read it as if your insider preview build whatever that is was active, that to was eligible for a free upgrade as well with out having to install the preview build over top of 7/8/8.1. I could be wrong.......

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I read it as
I believe you read it correctly.
The only caveat being...
You must remain a "Windows Insider".
If there is not a genuine eligible version of Windows (7 SP1 or 8.1 update) underlying your preview / final install and you choose to "not remain an insider", then I'm pretty sure .....
A. You're not legit
and
B. Your install will expire at some point.

Would be nice if it didn't (my current 10240 build doesn't show an expiration date), but I'm pretty sure it will if I opt out of the program.

Reaction score
I read it as if your insider preview build whatever that is was active, that to was eligible for a free upgrade as well with out having to install the preview build over top of 7/8/8.1. I could be wrong.......

excerpt: Source
Can I perform a clean install using the Free upgrade?
No, it will require that you are running a previous qualifying version and start the upgrade from within the qualifying version. You can initiate a clean install after completing the Upgrade.

Reaction score
I have dual boot with Win 8.1.1 Pro and Win 10 build 10240.
I'll know if I am wrong in less than 2 days.

Reaction score
Source
“I want to continue as a Windows Insider!”
If you want to continue as a Windows Insider past 7/29 there is nothing you need to do. You’re already opted in and receiving builds in the Fast or Slow ring depending upon your selection. This is prerelease software and is activated with a prerelease key. Each individual build will expire after a time, but you’ll continue to receive new builds so by the time an older prerelease build expires you’ll have received a new one. Since we’re continuing the Windows Insider Program you’ll be able to continue receiving builds and those builds will continue to be activated under the terms of the Windows Insider Program. We provide ISOs for these builds for recovery from any significant problems, but they are still pre-release software. As part of the program we’ll upgrade Insiders to what is for all intents and purposes the same build as what other customers will get on 7/29, but that will be just another build for Insiders, and those who stay in the program will simply get the next build after as well.
“I want to opt out of the Windows Insider Program on 7/29.” If you decide to opt-out of the program and upgrade to the 7/29 build you will be subject to exactly the same terms and conditions that govern the offer* that was extended to all Genuine Windows 7 and 8.1 customers. This is not a path to attain a license for Windows XP or Windows Vista systems. If your system upgraded from a Genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 license it will remain activated, but if not, you will be required to roll back to your previous OS version or acquire a new Windows 10 license. If you do not roll back or acquire a new license the build will eventually expire.

Reaction score
I've about had my fill from 10 months of dealing with pre-release issues. I did rather enjoy the challenges and seeing a new operating system taking shape and having a small part in its direction but it's time to opt out and just enjoy my computers once again. Testing programs, providing feedback, letting Microsoft look over my shoulder and dealing with issues that might force clean installs with possible loss of data all for the privilege of using Windows 10 with no other remuneration is just not worth the effort for me.

Reaction score
Well stated. I have come to the same conclusion/decision concerning my Win7 machines.

Ask a Question