Finalizing a DVD

Reaction score
Hi, I recently burned 13 dual layer DVD+Rs. I created an ISO in Adobe Premiere Elements and then right clicked the ISO to burn to disc (as a DVD, not data), and clicked "verify" (I'm not sure if I was supposed to do that but I did...). They will not play in my blu ray/dvd players, but play fine on my computer.

In "This PC," it says there is still 800 mb of empty space, and from what I could find, that means it is not finalized.

I cannot find a working method of finalizing the discs. I installed a Nero free trial, if anyone knows a method with that.

Please help or tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thank you!!!

Reaction score
How to finalize a DVD on Windows 10
As introduced above, before you can use a recordable disc (such as CD-R, DVD-R, or DVD+R) formatted with the Live File System format in other computers and devices, you need to close the current disc session to prepare the disc for use. By default, Windows closes your disc automatically when it is ejected.

To close a disc automatically, you can press the Eject button on your computer's disc drive., and Windows automatically closes the current session. This consumes 20 megabytes (MB) of disc space and can take several minutes.

You can also follow the steps below:

Step 1: Open File Explorer.
Step 2: Click the DVD drive.
Step 3: Click Close session on the toolbar. Now the session will be closed, so the disc can be used in other computers.

Check out the full article. It may give you more ideas.

Reaction score
I can't speak to the discs not finalizing, all the DVD+R/DVD-R/DVD+R/DL discs I've done have automatically finalized. But I use the relatively inexpensive Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator program [less than $30 at major retailors] which really isn't much different than other programs for that purpose, haven't used Nero for more than a dozen years when it was bundled with the drives I installed and as I recall that was before the DL discs.

There may be a message come up when starting to copy data to a blank disc about using as if it were a USB Thumb drive which doesn't close the disc or as a CD-ROM disc with does close it when finished.

Most I use the DL for is creating the Windows bootable Install disc from the downloaded .iso file using the MCT/Media Creation Tool.

Took me longer to type.

Reaction score
I can't speak to the discs not finalizing, all the DVD+R/DVD-R/DVD+R/DL discs I've done have automatically finalized. But I use the relatively inexpensive Roxio Easy CD/DVD Creator
Nero is the software I've used most. And the only time I have ever considered finalizing at a later date. Turned out to be more headache than it was worth. Now I simply write/finalize in a single burn.

Reaction score
How to finalize a DVD on Windows 10

Check out the full article. It may give you more ideas.
Yeah I clicked close or eject or whatever but nothing happens, other than it ejects from the computer lol. I installed that program but cannot figure out how to see if it's been "finalized" like the article says you can.

Reaction score
Inserting a DVD or CD should give one of 2 messages, one is about how you want to view the files on it and the other may be about how you want to treat the disc, as a readable disc [finalized] or as a USB Thumb drive to add files to it [not finalized]. To verify the action/s I use the disc in a second computer with an ODD/Optical Disc Drive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
as a readable disc [finalized] or as a USB Thumb drive to add files to it [not finalized].
That is not exactly what finalized means. Finalization is writing the allocation table to the disk. With rewritable media you don't have to worry about finalizing. The allocation table can be erased and rewritten. With optical write once read only media. The only way to have multiple write sessions is to wait on finalizing the disk. Without the allocation table many readers will not know how to interpret the data. But once the allocation table has been written. No more data can be added.

To add to the question. I have noticed some readers have issues with disk created by specific applications. It could also be that the reader doesn't know how to read the disk. For instance we had a 4x player/burner that wouldn't read 6x media. Firmware updates can help. But they are not always available. I would question the media before I went much further.

Ask a Question