Find and replace symbols

Reaction score
I'm using Word 2010. I want to replace character code 25A1 from Unicode (hex) to Wingdings 2:48 from Symbol (decimal). When I enter these items in the appropriate "Find and Replace" places, the "Replace with" item is always an unknown symbol. I suspect this is a font issue. So how do I replace character code 25A1 from Unicode (hex) with Wingdings 2:48 from Symbol (decimal)?

Reaction score
This works for me in Word 2013 so it should work in Word 2010.

1. Copy the Wingdings 2:48 to the clipboard. I did this by first manually inserting the character into the document from the 'Insert' tab, 'Symbol', more symbols... Then I selected and copied it (Ctrl-C).

2. In the Find/Replace dialog, go to the "Replace" field and just paste (Ctrl-V) the character in there.

3. Find next, replace...

Reaction score
This works for me in Word 2013 so it should work in Word 2010.

1. Copy the Wingdings 2:48 to the clipboard. I did this by first manually inserting the character into the document from the 'Insert' tab, 'Symbol', more symbols... Then I selected and copied it (Ctrl-C).

2. In the Find/Replace dialog, go to the "Replace" field and just paste (Ctrl-V) the character in there.

3. Find next, replace...
Thanks, wegmand, but this method doesn't work for me. Copying and pasting these ways insert different symbols in to the Find What and Replace With spaces.

Reaction score
Hmmm... okay, try this AFTER you copy the Wingdings 2 character to the clipboard:

1. Open the Find/Replace dialog and put your cursor in the Replace box but don't type anything.
2. Click the "More>>" button in the lower left corner of the dialog box to reveal other settings.
3. At the bottom, under 'Replace', click the "Format" button and select "Font..."
4. Select Wingdings 2 for the font and click OKAY. You should now see "Font: Wingdings 2" below the Replace box.
5. Now, with your cursor in the Replace box, paste (Ctrl-V) the copied character.
6. Find next, replace...

Reaction score
Thanks, wegmand. This is what finally worked for me:

1. Bring up the “Symbol” dialog.
2. Locate, select, then paste the character that you want into the document window.
3. Close the “Symbol” dialog.
4. Select the pasted character in the document window (leave any paragraph mark out), and copy it to the Windows clipboard (Ctrl+C).
5. Press Ctrl+H, and type “Alt+9633” into the Find box.
6. Type “^c” (without the quote marks) into the Replace With box. Leave ^c AS IS within the Replace With box.
7. Do your replacements.

Ask a Question