SOLVED Firefox and latest Cumulative

Bif

Reaction score
Has anyone else (that uses Firefox) noticed it taking forever to open since the latest and greatest MS offering and the latest FF update?
I timed it from click to Google home page and it took just under a minute to be fully open,load and be useable.. I've disabled my only two extensions and it hasn't made a difference.
I have only noticed it after the latest FF update the other day..so not so if it's just FF or a combination of the cumulative as well.

Reaction score
Nope. I am on the latest Windows 299.309. Started FF it was ver 58. Updated to 59.0.1 and tried it.

Very fast. Faster than Chrome latest version. Pc was running Edge and Thunderbird at the same time,

Internet speed tested this morning at between 165 and 134 Mb/s download. I have 16Gb memory so no paging.

As of 16:30 ET my pc had not seen the latest update...getting it now. (18:30)

PC restarted on 334. FF just as fast as it was on 309.

Last edited:
Reaction score
No I'm currently running FF 59.0.1 64 Bit. Windows version 16299.334.
In fact, My Grandsons PC after the last update was freezing when he opened Chrome. He uninstalled Chrome and downloaded FF. He couldn't believe how much faster FF is than Chrome.

Bif

Reaction score
Now I'm stymied.. I'm wondering if it's a ram issue although I'm running 3 gigs which has always been sufficient for my needs. I do have a lot of RSS feeds in my bookmarks, I'm curious if those might be behind the loading time?

Reaction score
RSS Feeds and add ons will slow you down overtime. Are you running the latest version of FF 59.0.1
Strange you should mention RAM. That's what the OEM told my Grandsons when his PC was freezing, they suggested that he run Memtest86. He followed my suggestion, uninstalled Chrome and replaced it with FF 59.0.1

Bif

Reaction score
Yup running FF 59.0.1.. I'm now thinking that it must be all my RSS Kijiji feeds and weather feeds..that's a lot of info to collate prior to starting FF.
Can't see what else it could be.
Thanks both for the help and info!

Reaction score
No problems here with the update, now 16299.334 and Firefox 56.0.2 64bit (I have not updated the FF cause my extension won't work anymore)...

Reaction score
Grizzly If you don't mind, What extension would that be. Just Curious!

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Has anyone else (that uses Firefox) noticed it taking forever to open since the latest and greatest MS offering and the latest FF update?
Yes....it's been this way for me since Quantum was released. As to being related to MS updates or not...I can't say.

Bif

Reaction score
Yes....it's been this way for me since Quantum was released. As to being related to MS updates or not...I can't say.
Interesting coincidence as this is when the slow opening first started to show for me as well..now I'm not sure what to think.

Bif

Reaction score
Well, after an uninstall and reinstall of FF the situation has not improved.. I'm almost certain now it has to do with my numerous RSS Feeds, as I'm not willing to lose the convenience of having them, I guess I'm stuck with the slow start up.
Could be worse things in life.
Marking this as solved-ish.

Reaction score
Yeah, the downside of having data saved that a program has to read/enumerate during its start-up. One solution is to have a second browser such as Mozilla's SeaMonkey for more mundane uses or where speed is essential.

Reaction score
Biff FYI As of yesterday, I've noticed a slow response from FF when refreshing pages. All cache and cookies cleared, no real improvement today. The slow down could very well be related to the last cumulative update KB4089848 Maybe MS is forcing us to use Edge. LOL

Bif

Reaction score
@Bighorn..that's a great idea using SeaMonkey, never even thought of that. Thanks for the suggestion.
@Norton I'm beginning to think there's a MS conspiracy! Lol
But before we chuckle.. it honestly wouldn't surprise me.;)

Reaction score
After the update our Grandsons PC Chrome became unbearably slow, kept freezing when he opened Chrome. He uninstalled Chrome, refuses to use Edge and installed FF. With FF installed, his PC was fast and the freezing was eliminated. Hmm! MS update seems to be a common denominator.

Bif

Reaction score
MS update seems to be a common denominator.
Agreed..
20180325_131103.jpg

Bif

Reaction score
Interesting note, at one point 9 processes were running for Firefox in Task Manager and 8 with Chrome. what used to be only 4 or at the most 5 with Firefox has gone up considerably with each FF update and Chrome is close behind.
Probably nothing to concern myself with, but these browsers are almost turning into bloatware with footprints the size of my crazy uncle Virgil.

Capture.JPG

Ask a Question