SOLVED Firefox now occasionally causes 1703 to lock computer, must re-boot

Reaction score
This has happened only recently with both the 86-bit Firefox, now uninstalled, and with the 64-bit Firefox replacing it (have 64-bit system). Problem first appeared when I recently tried to repair non-functioning Spotlight, in some cases messing with the registry, etc.. Spotlight now works useably as it is now coming in via Dynamic Theme. Kaspersky updated as is all Windows Update/Security fine (periodic scanning) and apps so far as i know. Now downloaded SUPER Antispyware which found 43 tracking adware cookies which it has removed.

Older 86-bit Firefox (now uninstalled) would occasionally crash before, give crash report and restart itself WITHOUT locking up the computer (HP 840 G2).

After these recent computer lockups which I assume are caused by Firefox (seems to only happen when I try to interact with opened, running Firefox in top bar, as in typing in top address bar, etc.), when I hold down computer's physical on/off switch to turn off the computer, after clean stop and then use on/off switch to re-start .... everything works fine

Reaction score
Now it got locked up when I tried to start Skype (computer had been running very well for hours). So: mechanical stop (on/off switch) then start again with switch, running nicely again, also Skype.

However, as has happened a half-dozen or more times ONLY since updating to 1703 a few months ago, at first re-start (from off) the sound was off at start (all else working, auto-diagnostic found nothing). Another "shut-down" but with click on "shut down", switch re-start and then all fine (so far). THAT's been going on since 1703 was installed

My guess now is 1703 bugs

Reaction score
You have several posts in the forum and in all you say Spotlight, whatever that is, causes the problem... If that were to be the case, it is a possibility that software is incompatible with the latest Win 10. What does the company which created it say?

Reaction score
Spotlight is a built-in Windows 10 program

Have tried Win10 Troubleshooter MANY times over the past week, incl. that version! What I finally did, after many HOURS (more than 10 hrs) of System Restore and uninstalling and re-installing various versions of Firefox (now running 64-bit) and Kaspersky (now running KIS 16 again till license expires in 3 mos, will then renew w/KIS 17.), was what I had always done with beloved Win7 , namely not use Defender! Period. Just much more effective Kaspersky.

A result of my own "troubleshooting", since I personally checked and saw that HealthService repeatedly showed up in the crash reports (reliability history) ....

since many not-too important and solvable issues came along with 1703 (ex-wife was Group Leader of 40 men in Testing at MS Redmond and I do know about bugs in software w/ millions of lines of code), I found and used, from https://partnersupport.microsoft.co...s/5829f484-939c-4365-8545-770ba0efc66d?auth=1 >
1. Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\SecurityHealthService
2. Set the start type to 3.
3. Go to Task Manager, Startup, right click on Windows Defender Notification icon, click Disable. Reboot. Problem solved.(from Windows

That seems to be working so far (if not, can easily undo it)

(but will not mark "solved" until so proven over the next days)

Reaction score
UPDATE: crashes continued, so clearly the cause was not Defender per se and restarted it, Realtek only occasionally starts without function (been so since 1703) maybe 1 out of 30 starts, not a crash so re-start is easy and fixes prob every time), Troubleshooter supposedly found and fixed Realtek incompatibility without fixing; not a real prob for me).

Only thing I've noticed is that crashes seem more linked to how long comouter has been on (it does NOT get hot) than which program or what I do

Reaction score
Well I totally refreshed Windows 10 (keeping files), downloaded and re-installed around 20 programs, apps and drivers as well as important large security updates deleted in the process and so far .... no lockup-crashes, but interestingly:

1. It kept v. 1703

2. Spotlight is STILL non-functional, but from my experience with Dynamic Theme, which I did not re-install because what I'd settled on before the refresh and what I like the most, better than Bing or Spotlight images, are my favorite Windows landscape picture on the Welcome Screen and the Lockscreen starts with that pic and then goes to a self-chosen slideshow of my favorite Windows landscapes from which the Welcome Screen pic was chosen .... and that was left from Dynamic Theme in the Personalization Settings

3. I now have the latest Kaspersky KIS 18 (works great) while Defender is easily doing Periodic Scanning

4. Only having a small problem refreshing File History on my removable USB backup storage, but I think I'll figure that out somehow

I did find out something maybe obvious: several large program and app files which were deleted (Refresh left a file-list with their names, some with hot-links) still had their setup stubs and so soon as the download showed xxx(1) I would search, find and when possible use it for installation without needing to waste hours downloading all again

Have been test-running a half-dozen open tabs on Firefox for almost and hour now with no problems: when I decided to refresh it, both Firefox and Chrome had been locking the whole computer every 20 minutes or so

I will delay marking this thread "solved" until a few more days ....

Reaction score
OK, except that Spotlight is still totally non-functional (what started this debacle) and since I now found that I do not even want it [which I decided due to the mass of totally crappy pics both Spotlight AND Bing found when it was working via Dynamic Theme and so have therefore not re-installed Dynamic Theme after this refresh], and since all incompatibilities have been seemingly removed through some combination of the refresh itself AND me installing the newest versions of all programs, apps and drivers .... there have been NO crashes or lockups (apparently a widespread problem since HP has now automatically informed me -- without me requesting -- of new troubleshooting tools they have now developed)

... I happily assume Problem Solved! :)

Reaction score
welp, seems that Spotlight is the issue. for now. never used it. but have you tried an install without Kaspersky?

Reaction score
Well I'm not sure, My degrees are in Physics, with strong experimental experience (making and evaluating experiments) as well as an MBA in Prdn Mgmt with courses in "Decision Making In Conditions of Uncertainty" .... put to work as a main occupation as inventor having to organize and deal with such conditions in factories in China. Further, my earliest first "real" job evolved into being a kind of in-house consultant at General Dynamics, set onto tasks no one would or could handle. I had 3 mainframe programmers working for me, also wrote my own code; my Danish wife then became a code-writing group leader at MS/Redmond in Testing with 40 men working for her (I helped her through university with "C++ Forever").

The computer lock-ups occurred with or without browsers operating, with various versions of the browsers, with Defender doing only Periodic Scanning or totally disabled, and with System Restore having Kaspersky "Self Defense" disabled (stops certain changes to system otherwise).

The biggest and most significant factor (with sooooo many variables) seemed to be running TIME and how much was going on with the CPU (and memory use) and with how fast certain versions of programs were operating. When I first installed x64 Firefox, I got the impression it was going too fast for the x64 HP 840 G2 system (using a new Samsung 500GB SSD, which I tested just before the 2nd refresh now and found to be "PERFECT"). And when the lockups were prevalent (sometimes once an hour or less), WinX v. 1703 + my nice, otherwise pretty fast PC would make lots of "attention: I am working" sounds (different tone groups for different programs and actions).

MS tricked me into installing 1703 by not clearly identifying it and I am sure there were and still are many bugs and compatibility issues. Even Firefox is "officially" labeling various apps as "Legacy" indicating that new code is currently being developed by the app developers to handle the rapidly evolving issues caused by MS "improvements" as well as other software being similarly "improved".

To me this becomes a good example of Chaos Theory in full action, with various apps and things making the combined crazy system "going up to a higher order of chaos"

Anyway, last night (9 hours of non-sleep) for the SECOND time I refreshed v. 1703 and re-installed all the programs (Firefox, Chrome, Kaspersky KIS 16! [not 17 or 18], Mobile Partner [Internet access], Classic Shell, Audacity, Ransomfree and Skype), various apps incl. HP Support Assistant which updated more than 6 drivers, though they'd been already updated before the 2nd refresh. There was a LOT going on with the downloads, etc., and during the first hour of re-installation with 2 browsers, MS Windows Update and HP downloading like mad, there was one lockup and for the first time in a month Firefox (now x86 which uses less memory and is slightly slower and thus not "pushing" the CPU so much) Firefox did what it was supposed to: instead of hanging the entire computer, it simply crashed, made a crash report and re-started, leaving me still in active control of the rest of the computer. During the previous lockups which had to be escaped in the only way possible by holding down the on/off switch, when problem-free restarting, Firefox usually returned to what it was doing before the hang (but with no crash-report option).

After the initial first-hour of multiple downloads and re-installations .... in over 12 hours of constant use, no real problems and not so much "I'm working" notification sounds from 1703

so far so good

Reaction score
And still good .... cuz I am fairly sure I found out what was going on. In sequence, the nice man who sold me the "pre-owned" HP840 had put a Toshiba HD (spinning around kind) in the HP in such a way that the connections were loose. After a long while finally I discovered that loose connection issue and in the process of that nice man dealing with it he easily convinced me to put in a SSD in its place. I didn't know at the time that the "HP" HD he removed was actually a Toshiba till I got home with that HD as an emergency backup. Nor that the SSD he replaced it with was from Samsung, but as reported in the above post, it is tested by me as "PERFECT".

It turns out that the missing log files that could not be repaired were from the pre-1703 version and my research today showed those files are not transferable from computer to computer. And that if this item is disabled or has a problem it can cause occasional system freezing. Further, the nice man had forgotten to make me Administrator in the WinX he put into the SSD and he had to re-install that version again. So I can guess that somewhere in the process the MS-DTC got turned off during transfers and/or numerous software incompatibility conflicts which caused the freezing and finally resulted in giving me the only option of what turned out to be a less-than-perfect Refresh the first time.

Trying to solve the "unable to repair" scc /scannow results led me to the MS-DTC which was not running and I turned on, first manually, checked later and it was not running, so set it to automatic and it seems to be still running when I check. Just now checked again: yep, still running.

So the freezes are at least a lot less "occasional", as in NO freezes since!

And the two "irreparable files" which turn out to be associated with the original pre-1703 version 10.0.15063.0 would be useless anyway now I guess, so "unrepaired" they shall remain I guess (my research today showed that MS-DTC does current logging anyway and so I suppose the old log info would only be useful for analysis of a basically removed version)

reference:
2017-08-08 16:32:35, Info CSI 000016d0 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:9]'MSDTC.LOG' of Microsoft-Windows-COM-DTC-Runtime, version 10.0.15063.0, arch amd64, nonSxS, pkt {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35} in the store, hash mismatch
This component was referenced by [l:161]'Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-com~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.15063.0.Microsoft-Windows-Client-Features-Package-AutoMerged-com-Deployment'

Ask a Question