Folder keeps getting rescanned?

Reaction score
I have a folder full of .exe's and everytime I open it up I have to wait a couple of seconds to navigate within it as Windows 10 scans the folder so that the icons for each executable get displayed therefore consuming 100% disk activity. Why does Windows 10 do this? Windows 7 never did this, ever since I upgraded it keeps doing it.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are you running any third party cleaners like ccleaner for example?

If you are it may be set to clear your thumbnail cache or icon cache causing Windows to have to rebuild it.

Reaction score
Have you tried changing the view?
On the top menu of the file explorer, select view and then "small icons", or "list"

Reaction score
After further troubleshooting it seems like CCleaner and Windows Defender were the culprit. I unchecked the thumbnail cache box in CCleaner and added the folder to the whitelist in Windows Defender. Thank you for the help. It still questions me why this never happened in Windows 7 even if I cleared the thumbnail cache... and I don't use an antivirus/malware when I had W7.

Ask a Question