Folder sharing between XP and Windows 10

Reaction score
New to this forum and file sharing. I have a Dell PC running Windows XP and an ASUS laptop running Windows 10. Ideally I need (simple) step-by-step instructions as to how I can share my D-drive on my PC with my Windows 10 laptop. It used to work until the XP PC was hacked! Any help most welcome.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It used to work until the XP PC was hacked!
AS you've experienced an XP machine on a network, especially an XP machine that has an internet connection as well as participating as a network node, is extremely susceptible to various malicious attacks and as it is no longer supported by Microsoft there is not much available in the way of options to make it more secure.

How did you recover from the "hack" are you certain that the XP machine is now, completely clean?

The first thing you probably need to do is create a user account ( as a member of the local administrator's group) with a strong password and resist using the built in Administrator account with a blank password.
After which, networking the two computers should work pretty much as it always has.
Make sure the machine names and IP addresses are unique and not duplicated on the network, make sure that both machines are members of the same "WorkGroup"
Share a folder and use the machine name followed by a backslash followed by the UserName and then
The password for that username when authenticating in the credentials prompt.
XPmachine\UserName
P@$$w0rd

Win10Machine\UserName
P@$$w0rd

Make sure that the username and password you are using exists on both machines, with the appropriate Share Permissions and NTFS (Security) Permissions to access the folder you are sharing and its' child objects (sub-folders and files).

After and only after you have sharing setup and configured as you want and any errors are resolved, then.....
Install some top tier third party anti virus / anti spyware on the XP machine.

Reaction score
New to this forum and file sharing. I have a Dell PC running Windows XP and an ASUS laptop running Windows 10. Ideally I need (simple) step-by-step instructions as to how I can share my D-drive on my PC with my Windows 10 laptop. It used to work until the XP PC was hacked! Any help most welcome.
Sorry, Yendorian, I do not have any answers but would appreciate knowing the answer (if any) as well. I could do it when I had Windows 8 but with Windows 10 I cannot!

Reaction score
I have two WIN XP machines and two machines upgraded to WIN 10 from WIN 7 and WIN 8.1. Prior to the WIN upgrades they all lived happily and communicated. Now, depending on some unknown reason, they may or may not communicate (Enter network credentials - The user name or password is incorrect). They are!! I use the same ones on each machine. How do I bypass/disable/turn off this "security" feature?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have two WIN XP machines and two machines upgraded to WIN 10 from WIN 7 and WIN 8.1. Prior to the WIN upgrades they all lived happily and communicated. Now, depending on some unknown reason, they may or may not communicate (Enter network credentials - The user name or password is incorrect). They are!! I use the same ones on each machine. How do I bypass/disable/turn off this "security" feature?
IF you are in fact using identical usernames and passwords on all your machines, then.......
Right click the network icon on the taskbar, bottom right near the clock and select "Open network and sharing center"
Click the link in the left column that says "Change advanced sharing settings"
At the bottom of the "Private (current profile) section, select the radio button that says "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers"
That should facilitate Windows pass through authentication.
NOTE: A reboot of the machines involved will probably be needed or at least a log off and log on, to obtain a new access token and given the OS an opportunity to enumerate the new setting.

Reaction score
IF you are in fact using identical usernames and passwords on all your machines, then.......
Right click the network icon on the taskbar, bottom right near the clock and select "Open network and sharing center"
Click the link in the left column that says "Change advanced sharing settings"
At the bottom of the "Private (current profile) section, select the radio button that says "Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers"
That should facilitate Windows pass through authentication.
NOTE: A reboot of the machines involved will probably be needed or at least a log off and log on, to obtain a new access token and given the OS an opportunity to enumerate the new setting.

Ask a Question