font size in apps

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

This is my first post on the forum, so I hope it makes sense and is in the right place.

My setup is a Lenovo desktop, attached to a BenQ external monitor, set to its maximum size. They are both about five years old. I use the external monitor because I have visual difficulties, and had the combination working well under Windows 7. The main programs I use are the CoffeeCup HTML editor and Notepad ++

Since I installed Windows 10 I find that the font sizes in Windows and these programs are much smaller than when using Windows 7. I can use Windows and the programs, but it's going to be strain for any length of time.

I have used the Windows 10 font size slider which supposedly sets the font size to 175%. but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Is there a way to get the font size bigger? Or to revert to Windows 7?

Regards, Alex

Reaction score
1. If you use a mouse with a wheel at the top, press Ctrl key and HOLD > roll the wheel ....
clockwise is to decrease the text size.
counter-clockwise is to increase the text size.

2. If you use IE11 > at the menu bar, right click at an open spot > check Status Bar.
Bottom right, you will see a percentage. Click the pointer next to it to a higher %.

3. If you use IE11 > at the menu bar, click View > click Zoom......

Reaction score
You might like to try this for a permanent solution.
In the start menu Settings - System - Display.
At the bottom "Advanced Display Settings"
Again, down near the bottom "Advanced sizing of text and other items"
In "Change only text size " select each item in turn"

I also have slightly failing vision, I have found that a setting of 11 is sufficient for me not to need my glasses for computer work.

Reaction score
Thanks, David. I use a trackball, and don't use IE11; but I appreciate your reply.

Thanks, Dave. The problem seems to have fixed itself after I set the size of the external monitor down one step - except that this window that I'm using to reply now more than fills the screen on the monitor. I'll try how things go for a while, and then try putting the monitor back to full size and using your suggestion.

Regards, Alex

Reaction score
When I open Settings/Display this is the first thing that opens. I use it to get everything sized to my liking.

text size.jpg

Reaction score
Mornin Dave. Didn't follow your suggested path since the slider bar in the first window gets the job done for me and I don't go further into the settings. I have an ASUS PB287Q 4K monitor set to a resolution of 3840X2160 and at normal settings everything is pretty small including window size. Moving the slider up a bit resizes everything including text and window size to an easy to use size.

Another easy way to get there is right click on the desktop and display settings is one of the options that pops up.

Reaction score
Thanks, Dave. No, I haven't tried yet - I have a host of things on my mind right now. I do have a copy of your post, and when I can I'll try it.

Regards, Alex

Ask a Question