Force Windows 10 to Boot into Safe Mode - Problem

Reaction score
In order to force a safe mode start in Widows 10, I used the msconfig command in the Run Box. I clicked the "networking" radio button; unfortunately, that UNCLICKED the "minimal" radio button. Now I am unable to boot into anything. I have created a Repair / Recovery Disc from a similar PC, but it does not work with my HP ENVY.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ticking the network radio button will always untick the minimal radio button, that is basically how radio buttons work only one can be chosen as apposed to check boxes where multiples can be chosen. It loads a network driver hence no more minimal.
That should not have impacted your safe mode boot unless the network driver is causing a problem.

What does your computer do now in the boot process? What are you actually seeing in the way of screens produced on your monitor?
Why were you forcing a Safe Mode Boot?

By the way, greetings and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I am not getting any display on the monitor at all. I have been using Kaspersky and it would create some issues if I did not turn the PC off at night. I was simply going to get in safe mode and rum Malwarebytes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you share the exact model number / part number of your HP Envy.... there are multiple computers with that designation.
We don't even know if it is a desktop, laptop, all in one, (ie...... HP ENVY x360 15-u410nr)

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Can you access the System Setup Utility (BIOS).
See if you can boot to the installation media. If you do not have installation media
The installation media can be obtained through either of these two resources.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO, you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, either of which you can use to boot your computer.

When you've managed to boot from the installation media you need to click the Repair Your PC link on the second page after the Choose a Language and Keyboard layout page.
That should get you to the Advanced Troubleshooting options.
See if System Restore helps with your issue.

CommandPrompt.JPG

Reaction score
I have not been able to access BIOS using a Repair and Recovery Disc that I created from another PC. I will give your recommendations a try.

Reaction score
I created a DVD as directed, tried it on another PC, tapped "esc" on startup and it gets me to the BIOS. Unfortunately, I get a blank monitor when using the same process on the subject PC.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I get a blank monitor when using the same process on the subject PC
What is the "subject PC"?
Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number complete with extended part number if present.
Every PC is different as to how you can effectively evoke the System Setup Utility (BIOS) and or Boot menu.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry, I missed that one.
Shut it down. remove the AC power from the wall or rear of computer (your choice), then press and hold the power button on the computer and count to 20.
Replace the AC power, press and hold the Esc key on your keyboard and don't let it go. Press the power button on the computer to fire it up.
On every HP desktop I've worked on, that seemed to be the trick, except for one, where I actually had to physically remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard. Generally that step shouldn't be necessary.

Ask a Question