Format....too short of time ?

Reaction score
When I did the "Clean" install to Windows 10, I chose to FORMAT at the beginning of the installation. It took about 5 seconds or less. How could a 500 Gig hard drive be formatted in 5 seconds ?? It takes much longer to format a 8 Gig flash drive I have. ?? Thanks, Mike

Reaction score
A quick format is called that for exactly that reason. A full format may take an hour or more, depending on the size of the drive. The data on the drive is not erased, just the format information.

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass for the reply. So, can I assume that if there were a virus or malware on the hard drive. it may still be there after a Quick format. Mike

Reaction score
Since any reference to files associated with a virus would be eliminated, I would think the virus would be eliminated. But someone else may have more information.

Reaction score
If you had a virus on the HDD it would be best if you did a regular format and not a quick format.

Reaction score
Saltgrass and ram1220....Thanks for the reply. When I decide to reinstall Windows 10, I will nuke the HDD before the install. Thanks again, Mike

Ask a Question