SOLVED Forum Navigation Problem

Reaction score
Today I am navigating "Recent Activity" and when I am done viewing a particular thread I press the back arrow. It now takes me all the way back to the first page instead of to where I left off.

As I recall, yesterday it would take me back to where I left off. Is that how you remember it? Are you even experiencing the same issue?

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Are you even experiencing the same issue?
Nope, I don't seem to be experiencing the same issue.
Ian, who is out of town (actually out of the country I think) right now, should be back soon.
Perhaps he'll have a more definitive idea as to what might be going on.
I'll let him know.

Reaction score
I am on a Windows 7 machine right now and it is acting the same so it is not a Windows 10 issue. See my "New Motherboard" post.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hi Tim,

Just so that I can replicate this, could you let me know what your click path is please? I.e. From this very thread, can you let me know what you're clicking on and I'll do the same thing and see what I can do.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

I view "Recent Activity" then scroll to the last post on the page and click "Show older items", I do that several times and decide to go back to where I was just before the last click. I click on the browsers back arrow at the upper left and it takes me back to where I was before I started viewing "Recent Activity". This action used to take me back to an earlier time in "Recent Activity" then it started taking me back to a time before "Recent Activity".

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think it'll do that because when you click on "show older items" it isn't actually loading a new page - it uses ajax to load extra content on the same page. Some browsers interpret this differently - some can backtrack ajax actions and others will go back to the last "full" page.

Reaction score
I think it'll do that because when you click on "show older items" it isn't actually loading a new page - it uses ajax to load extra content on the same page. Some browsers interpret this differently - some can backtrack ajax actions and others will go back to the last "full" page.
OK, but I could almost swear that previously it would go back to where I left. And look at Troubles post above. He says he is not experiencing the problem.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
look at Troubles post above. He says he is not experiencing the problem.
Don't go by what I said.
I'm not at all sure that I know what you are talking about..... hell, I don't even know what I'm talking about most of the time.
Don't believe a word I say. :)

Reaction score
Well crap, it is really annoying to get bumped out of "Recent Activity" just because I viewed a thread. Makes me leery of looking at one so I just keep scrolling till I am done viewing all the new ones and then go back and pick the ones I am most interested in. I sure wish you could fix that deficiency.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good idea dave, or.......
Maybe simply right clicking the link and choosing open in new tab would work and then just close it and you're back to your former tab.

Reaction score
Good idea dave, or.......
Maybe simply right clicking the link and choosing open in new tab would work and then just close it and you're back to your former tab.
Dave put us on the track of a work around but I think you nailed it Trouble. Thanks to both of you as I mark this solved. I still have to keep clearing the new tabs but that is a heck of a lot less frustrating than before.

Reaction score
One of several advantages of having two browsers open -for this old guy with a failing memory. If you are in the middle of posting in a two page thread, you can have page one, or another post to which you are referring in an open window.

Reaction score
One of several advantages of having two browsers open -for this old guy with a failing memory. If you are in the middle of posting in a two page thread, you can have page one, or another post to which you are referring in an open window.
Yes, from one old guy to another, I do that too. And thanks again for helping.

Ask a Question