Free space remains unchanged after 5 GB move

Reaction score
I copied 5 GB of files from C:\Users\terry\OneDrive\Documents\MAGIX downloads, (SSD) to D (HD), then deleted the originals. But free space on C is still reported as unchanged. That's in various places, including running diskmgmt.msc.

I'll probably move it back to test it again and check that I wasn't imagining the number initially shown. But meanwhile, could there be any other explanation please?

Edit:
Moved 1 GB back and free space was correctly shown reduced. But on then deleting, with the figure unchanged as before, I noticed a small message in the window 'Working on it...' That was 5 minutes ago. What's to work on?
--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Did you empty the recycle bin after deleting the files? If they were sent there, then it would still occupy the same amount of drive space :).

Reaction score
Duh - thanks! Forgot about the recycle bin. :oops:

Any thoughts on that persistent message?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not sure why it would continue to say "Working on it" - I've generally only seen this when deleting a huge number of files (so if that 5GB was made up of tens of thousands of files, that may explain it?).

Did it disappear shortly after, or has it stayed there?

Reaction score
Just a few very large files.

I went back to the folder a few times over a period of maybe 10 mins and the message had not gone. Eventually just pressed on with other stuff.

Ask a Question