Free upgrade to Windows 10 for all existing Windows 7 and 8.1

Reaction score
This is a Windows 10 forum. It covers good and bad points of the latest OS.
It makes no sense to post an unqualified remark such as yours, without a little amplification and justification.

Reaction score
I have upgraded three 8.1 laptops (all designed for 8) and a 7 desktop. I had to correct a problem with the Start Button not working on my desktop, and everything else has been fine.

Reaction score
I am so tired of folks bad mouthing W10, I upgraded 4 PC in my home starting July 29th 2015 as soon as available 3 were W8.1's and one was W7. Had no problem what so ever, install went smooth as butta! and I absolutely love W10. After being a member of several computer or techy forums, I have come to the conclusion, the problem in 95% of complaints is coming from operator ( yes, that's you) failure. And for sure not due to W10, which is very user friendly and quite awesome! those of you who do not upgrade will be left in our dust, W10 is the future and other systems will begin to fail as time goes on, good luck, your going to need it, or buy a new PC., then you will have W10 anyway.

Reaction score
It does seem from what i have seen that W 10 prefers some PCs and not others.
Dell is certainly one that most people have a problem with when trying to upgrade.;)

Reaction score
I am so tired of folks bad mouthing W10, I upgraded 4 PC in my home starting July 29th 2015 as soon as available 3 were W8.1's and one was W7. Had no problem what so ever, install went smooth as butta! and I absolutely love W10. After being a member of several computer or techy forums, I have come to the conclusion, the problem in 95% of complaints is coming from operator ( yes, that's you) failure. And for sure not due to W10, which is very user friendly and quite awesome! those of you who do not upgrade will be left in our dust, W10 is the future and other systems will begin to fail as time goes on, good luck, your going to need it, or buy a new PC., then you will have W10 anyway.

I upgraded from 7 to 10 FOC July/August 2015, it took four attempts, generally failing within the last 90%, once installed I started to get a hard drive failure imminent, my touch pad would no longer function the same, a borescope camera would no longer function, I attempted to stick to all Microsoft by using Edge, basically at the time I wished I hadn't moved, but recognising it is supposed to be the way forward I persevered, I went so far as to purchase a new laptop with 10 installed, in all I'm not thrilled with it by any means.
I have lost count how many times Internet Explorer hits a problem and stops working then has to close down, so nearly a year on from everything functioning correctly I now encounter problems that did not exist prior to the upgrade.
Well done if you succeeded free of any hiccups, this tends to be the norm for large companies who will claim an exceptionally high success rate if 95% of customers are happy, that's fine unless your in the 5% that are not, 5% of how many million customers is a lot.
AND yes I replaced the HD in my old laptop and that fairs just the same as the new one.

Reaction score
It does seem from what i have seen that W 10 prefers some PCs and not others.
Dell is certainly one that most people have a problem with when trying to upgrade.;)

I have to disagree. I have several different Dells, and, through family business, mostly work with them. So far I have not experienced any problems with any current or older models.

Reaction score
I have to disagree. I have several different Dells, and, through family business, mostly work with them. So far I have not experienced any problems with any current or older models.
Fair enough but i know many that have had problems with Dell
They have been mostly laptops if that makes a difference i don't know.

Reaction score
To clarify I was not speaking to anyone person in particular when I said (yes, that means you) that was a reference to most all PC operators who have the install fail. As I have said in past post's one of the biggest factors in failure is not uninstalling other AVI's especially Norton or McAfee before upgrading leaving only Defender or Security Essentials. then after the upgrade download what ever your choice is. These others do cause failures during the upgrade (this is a known fact)

Reaction score
I have 2 pcs. One has an older version which works fine.
And is working as I write this

A newer one has windows10
It cannot save .doc files

And the new one, which was working an hour ago, now says "fix connection problems"
[ and my blue light is on ]

Reaction score
I am putting it down to the messages that keep appearing wanting me to load windows10

Reaction score
I agree with Aputernut. Life is better without McAfee or Norton or any of the others while installing or updating
W10.

Reaction score
Norton and McAfee have track records of loading software that sabotages other AV programs, even if they themselves are uninstalled. I used to love Norton AV, but ten years ago went to free AVs and have had no problems.

And that picture of a friendly Peter Norton on the cover of Norton AV? They bought him out years ago.

Reaction score
I upgraded from 7 to 10 FOC July/August 2015, it took four attempts, generally failing within the last 90%, once installed I started to get a hard drive failure imminent, my touch pad would no longer function the same, a borescope camera would no longer function, I attempted to stick to all Microsoft by using Edge, basically at the time I wished I hadn't moved, but recognising it is supposed to be the way forward I persevered, I went so far as to purchase a new laptop with 10 installed, in all I'm not thrilled with it by any means.
I have lost count how many times Internet Explorer hits a problem and stops working then has to close down, so nearly a year on from everything functioning correctly I now encounter problems that did not exist prior to the upgrade.
Well done if you succeeded free of any hiccups, this tends to be the norm for large companies who will claim an exceptionally high success rate if 95% of customers are happy, that's fine unless your in the 5% that are not, 5% of how many million customers is a lot.
AND yes I replaced the HD in my old laptop and that fairs just the same as the new one.

I upgraded 4 computers to Windows 10 from 7 and 8.1, and had problems on three of them with the upgrade. Several times it just stopped and would not finish. But I eventually got them all upgraded. On one of the four I had a pesky problem with the start menu not working properly and with the internal apps not loading at all. That's why I discovered this forum. Lots of people had the same issues. 95% of the installers did not make operator errors that caused this. It does little good to criticize others because we had no problems during our upgrade. In fact this type of upgrade was very complicated and there are so many variables between the millions of computers involved that it's pretty surprising to me that the effort has been as successful as it seems to have been. Once I figured out how to fix the issues, Windows 10 has worked great on all of the computers.

Regedit32

Reaction score
The people whining about installing Windows 10,

Are they the same ones assembling chairs like this?

096fc396c3f9d8b9efb8063cc39e73d3.jpg

Sometimes if you just take a moment to read the instructions :rolleyes:

Ask a Question