Freeze-up's after Windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10

Reaction score
I installed the Windows 10 upgrade on my 5 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop a few days ago. Having continuous problems with freeze-up's every few minutes, each time the freeze-up lasts about 1-2 minutes.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
5 year old Toshiba Satellite laptop
Backup all your critical data, now.
Perform a disk image of the hard drive, read this https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/please-for-your-own-peace-of-mind.794/
If that hard disk drive is the original equipment that came with that laptop 5 years ago, you may want to inspect it for errors (but not until you have secured you critical data).
Right click the start button and choose Command Prompt (Admin) and in the command prompt window type
chkdsk C: /R
hit enter
answer Y when prompted
hit enter
type exit
hit enter
reboot the system and go have lunch.
Let it run, do not interrupt it and when it completes and reboots your computer, check the Event Viewer for the results, look at the bottom of the report for bytes in bad sectors, see if it reports any.
After that is all done.....
Defrag the disk manually, at least twice with a full shut down and restart between. I don't care if it says 0% fragmented or not, just trust me.

Since the drive is probably a 5400 RPM spinner you may want to consider investing in a newer SSD (assuming a SATA interface and not IDE for the drive connector).

Reaction score
Performed the chkdsk C: / R scan, no errors found nor any bytes in bad sectors. Defrag'd 6 times. The hard drive was replaced on 3/11/15 and was performing well until I did the Windows 10 upgrade. Any other thoughts? It's still freezing up every few minutes for about 80 seconds each time.

Ask a Question