SOLVED Freezes when turn on PC, reboot and everythings fine - why?

Reaction score
When I turn on my PC, it starts up but I just get a black screen with the circular arrow. It adds one dot about every 15 minutes. I select start>power>re-start and everything comes up fine. It is slower than Windows 7, which is annoying, but not nearly as much as having to reboot every time. Any idea what could be causing it? Thanks.

Reaction score
Troubleshooting suggestion only.............

Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

sfc /scannow
> press Enter.

It will take quite sometime. When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports : (paraphrasing )

1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successfully.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If report is #1. Your solution lies elsewhere.
IF report is #2, go see if everything is now working ok.
If report is #3, please do the following........

Right click at Start button > select Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.....

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.

Again, it will take some time. When finished it will give you a report.
If it says operation successful, go see if everything is now working ok.

Reaction score
Thank you for the post. I came up with no integrity violation, which is good to know.

Per a suggestion on www.expertreviews.co.uk/software/operating-systems, I turned off the fast-start option and that seems to have resolved the issue after a couple of reboots

Open the Start Menu and type "power options
Select Power Options when it appears.
When the Power Options window opens, select "Choose what the power button does" from the list on the left of the window,.
If you see a small blue and yellow shield icon and the text "Change settings that are currently unavailable", click the text.
Scroll down to the Shut-down settings list.
Uncheck "Turn on fast start-up" and click Save changes.

Supposedly, you can turn it back on and it will still boot back up just fine. I haven't done that.
My machine now boots up first time and in seconds rather than having to boot up twice.

Ask a Question