From camera to computer how to upload to Photo Gallery instead of.....

Reaction score
Dell desktop; Win10, Firefox browser, WLMail2012 (horrid program!).

Hello, I dislike a lot the Edge Photo App. How can I be make sure that when I transfer pics from my camera to the computer they land on the Windows Photo Gallery and not on that Photo App?

Thanks so much for any ideas! Adela

Reaction score
You may mean the Windows 10 Photo App?
Windows Photo gallery. You are referring to the program which was part of the now, redundant, Live essentials?

I understand, although officially displaced by MS, the gallery is still in working order.

Right click the start orb and , from the list, select the Control panel.
Select the "Default programs". Then "Set your default programs"
Scroll down and find the photo gallery, and make iy the default.. Save and exit.

Reaction score
Thank you very much Dave, and yes I have Windows 10 Photo App (which I detest a lot!) and wish to use only Windows Photo Gallery. However...

...I went to Control Panel and found the list of programs to default, but it doesn't have the Windows Photo Gallery. It has instead Windows Photo View. Did they change the name maybe? How can I be sure the latter is actually Photo Gallery?

Thanks again. :)

Reaction score
Photo view does not operate in exactly the same way, It isn't a replacement for Photo gallery, which needed to be installed, but is , as it says, a built in convenience for scanning Photos.

You might have a look at XNview, which I use.

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/

P.S. In the defaults, photo gallery may have been listed under Windows Essentials??

Reaction score
Arn't the Windows Essentials discontinued?? Thought I read it somewhere recently. The latest version is from 2012 AFAIK.

Reaction score
They are not discontinued, no0 longer supported. I am still using all of the items (2012)except the Live mail, which does not support sync.

Reaction score
Photo view does not operate in exactly the same way, It isn't a replacement for Photo gallery, which needed to be installed, but is , as it says, a built in convenience for scanning Photos.

You might have a look at XNview, which I use.

http://www.xnview.com/en/xnview/

P.S. In the defaults, photo gallery may have been listed under Windows Essentials??

Thanks again Dave. It doesn't show the Windows Essentials either, although in Programs and Features it does show Win. Essentials2012. I downloaded the link you so kindly sent me, but I don't know what to do with it. I'm at the page showing all the things it does, I clicked on Photo View (or something) and it asks for a PDF file. Could you please orient me a little more? Thank you!

Reaction score
Click the blue "download" box. It will download the executive program to your "downloads" folder. You then click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install.
And, incidentally, it is not Photoview but Xnview, a better program

But, going back a little in the thread. Did you actually download and install the photo gallery from within Essentials?

Reaction score
Click the blue "download" box. It will download the executive program to your "downloads" folder. You then click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install.
And, incidentally, it is not Photoview but Xnview, a better program

But, going back a little in the thread. Did you actually download and install the photo gallery from within Essentials?

I did download the Xnview box. But I clicked on "View PDF" not "Photo view" as I erroneously said. Is this the right link to click on? When I clicked on it, it asked to browse into the "View PDF". I think I should start from the beginning and this time make sure I installed the download, maybe i forgot? I'll try again and will report to you.

I'm so sorry I don't remember how I got Photo Gallery I believe it came with the Dell computer when i bought it about 5 years ago or so. Thank you again.

Reaction score
If you were comfortable with The photo gallery, part of essentials, you can still download essentials Here:
http://g.live.com/1rewlive5-all/en/wlsetup-all.exe

As with the other software mentioned, it will download to your C:\Download folder.
You then click it and select customize. You can then select only the hHoto gallery, which will be installed.

Reaction score
If you were comfortable with The photo gallery, part of essentials, you can still download essentials Here:

As with the other software mentioned, it will download to your C:\Download folder.
You then click it and select customize. You can then select only the hHoto gallery, which will be installed.

Thanks for the new link which I’ll try now, but when I tried the first link you gave me, a strange page got planted on my Firefox space instead of the usual Firefox page. It’s not in the Programs and Features. I don’t know how to get rid of it. I send a screenshot so you know what it looks like. Is it possible to undo this thing?

Attachments

• STRANGE PAGE ON MY FIREFOX.JPG
    STRANGE PAGE ON MY FIREFOX.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 519
Reaction score
Looks like you not only got a toolbar (IMHO the most useless tool) but you start page has changed as well. Look in [TOOLS] -. [OPTIONS] and check your homepage (see picture)

2017-02-06_201221.jpg

Reaction score
Agreed. Just tried the link and the download again without problems. You must have clicked in the wrong place somewhere along the line.
It looks like you have installed something called a pdf converter.. Difficult to see exactly with the mass of gear you have around there.

Reaction score
Looks like you not only got a toolbar (IMHO the most useless tool) but you start page has changed as well. Look in [TOOLS] -. [OPTIONS] and check your homepage (see picture)

View attachment 4725

View attachment 4725

Thank you Grizzly, I was going to do what you kindly wrote above when suddenly my AV avast popped up saying something like: You have an infected sit,e avast has cleaned it up"....and it's now gone! But I'm keeping your instructions in case I'm hijacked again. :)

P.S. Don't know what I did that your quoted message got duplicated here? Also, where can I see your Attachment 4725? Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep that's a browser hijacker
ADWcleaner from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/dl/125/
JRT (Junkware Removal Tool) from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/dl/131/
Malwarebytes from here http://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/confirm/

See if those three will get rid of it.

Thank you Trouble (you're the opposite of trouble - you help the tech-not versed people like me) :) As I explained to Grizzly, avast popped up and cleared my hijack instantly. Meantime, I'm copying the links that you kindly gave me to be able to fight this thing on my own when it happen again. Love your bottom quote!!!

Last edited:
Reaction score

Hello Dave, I left you for the last, as I must get into the intricate computer ways and follow your good instructions and then I'll report to you. Thanks so much for looking for other ways to help me with getting that blessed Photo Gallery. :)

Reaction score
Agreed. Just tried the link and the download again without problems. You must have clicked in the wrong place somewhere along the line.
It looks like you have installed something called a pdf converter.. Difficult to see exactly with the mass of gear you have around there.

I wish I knew what I did, lol! What was the "mass of gear around there"? Do you refer to the task bar or to the intruder site? I'm curious...

Reaction score
Thank you Grizzly, I was going to do what you kindly wrote above when suddenly my AV avast popped up saying something like: You have an infected sit,e avast has cleaned it up"....and it's now gone! But I'm keeping your instructions in case I'm hijacked again. :)

P.S. Don't know what I did that your quoted message got duplicated here? Also, where can I see your Attachment 4725? Thanks.

The attachment is the picture that is in my response (the firefox options). Apparently when you replay to a post the attachment does not get taken over into the quote.

I saw in your picture that you have the MSN messenger running. I thought Microsoft did away with that and stooped the service in favor of Skype??
Just curious, that's all......;)

Ask a Question