Games freeze until mouse or keyboard press

Reaction score
Hi,

Got a Dell Inspiron 15, 7000 series laptop with an NVidia vid card, with Windows 10 pre-installed. I've installed a few games on the system, like Mass Effect, skyrim and such. If I play these games with a mouse and keyboard, everything is fine. If I play them instead with a controller, often the games will start dropping FPS to 1 or 0 every 60 seconds exactly, and will stay that way until I press a keyboard key or click the mouse button. It doesn't always happen, but often enough to be frustrating. Also, when it happens, restarting the computer does not fix the issue. Completely shutting the computer off, then on, does.

Troubleshooting I've tried:

- Selective boot, turning off everything except microsoft processes.
- Uninstalling apps that can run in the background (such as Dell update, and Anti-virus)
- Adjusted Power settings to never turn any device off while plugged in. (and I'm always plugged in)
- Ensured Screen Saver is turned off.

At my wits end and planning to reformat if I can't find a solution, but since I've never reformatted this laptop before, (Its about 6 months old) its my last resort.

HELP!

Jon

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does the controller manufacturer have an updated software / driver package that is Windows 10 compatible.
Have you checked Device Manager to make sure the problem controller properties / power management tab, does not have the "Allow the ocmputer to turn of this device to save power" checked?

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply. Had to look into a few things before I did. First off, the controller, its a PS2 controller using an adapter to change it to USB. Its plug n play (no driver, so no update). However, I've determined it is not the issue, as the issue still occurs when the controller is not plugged in at all. I was playing a keyboard/mouse game and stepped away for a minute and it lost frame rate just like the controller games. clicked a button and it returned to normal. Timed it for another minute and it dropped FPS again right at the 1 minute mark.

Another piece of oddness with this issue. The other day I had the issue, and tabbed out to start up the task manager to monitor performance when this happens. Only problem is that it never did. Apparently while the task manager is running, the issue does not happen. Close the task manager, and it start up again. So something about the task manager prevents this thing from occurring.

Ask a Question