Garmin Express

Reaction score
I saw your post and immediately plugged in my Garmin ( Nuvi 58) Up comes Garmin Express (version 4.5.0.0), sees the device and starts updating. So here at least, Garmin Express and W10 (1607 14393.576) are working. I am using the USB cable that came with the Garmin and a regular USB 2 port on the PC.

Looks as if I am getting a software update and a map update.

Note I am not running any Anti virus except Defender.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Many thanks for your info. Mine is a Nuvi 54 and it does not update as it did with Windows 7. I also use the USB cable and the USB port on the laptop. Wish I could get software and Map updates as tried to update but showed us going through a field !! The same with me no Anti virus except Defender.

Reaction score
It may be related to the Serial to USB situation. Win 10 seems to have that driver built in and does not need the special cable. If not that then you two can compare how the serial port is set up and what settings..

Reaction score
It may be related to the Serial to USB situation. Win 10 seems to have that driver built in and does not need the special cable. If not that then you two can compare how the serial port is set up and what settings..

I am sorry but where did you read something about a serial to USB cable? the Garmin use a regular USB cable with a mini USB to plug in the Garmin.

Did I miss something??

Reaction score
I also agree about the use of a regular USB cable which I received with the Garmin unit. It has a normal USB connection into the laptop and a mini USB into the back of the Garmin unit. It always worked on Windows 7 but since Windows 10 it no longer works and even Garmin seem to be confused !

Reaction score
I am sorry but where did you read something about a serial to USB cable? the Garmin use a regular USB cable with a mini USB to plug in the Garmin.

Did I miss something??
Every GPS unit I have had contact with uses a serial input. So making sure the serial input has been set up correctly is essential.

I have a scanner radio which also uses that type of input and in Win 7 it needed a special cable. In Win 10 it does not.

What settings are being used for the serial port...? If it does not use a serial port, what type of driver does it use to interpret the data?

https://support.garmin.com/faqSearch/faq/textsearch

Do a search for "windows 10" and there is a reference to the Anniversary update.

Last edited:
Reaction score
well, I couldn't leave this alone and installed the Garmin app onto my Windows 10 system and it worked flawless.There is one catch though: the newest app has the version# 5.0.0.0 and the device has to be reregistered with the account you already have. Garmin has done quite a few changes with the new app. So far however,it works as suppose to...
my current Windows 10 Version is 14393.576

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I plugged my Garmin Nuvi into my Win10 desktop and 'Express' popped up in good order and began updating to my mobile Garmin, Version 6.10.

I do remember, however, that if the cable is not plugged in correctly and in good working order, there will be no recognition of the Garmin Device, even though that same device was working previously.

Ask a Question