General boot speed help.

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and I did a search for this information and didn't see anything in the first few pages. Sorry, I'm not a speed reader so if this has been posted before please forgive me. Ok, my main question is I remember reading some where that Win 10 is supposed to be faster booting then any other windows. I don't see it and I have lived with the extremely long boot up for over a year now. I'll post my system specs at the end. I had xp and play both then and now World of Tanks. In my old "2009" desk top, if I had an issue I could literally hard boot down, restart and be back in game in under 1 minute, was closer to 37 sec's. Now with this computer with a fresh install of just Win 10 and updated drivers and my game, Just to boot up fully to where the game can be played takes close to 5 minutes. I have shut off everything I could and stripped Win 10 Ent of all "tell on me" telemetry while still remaining stable. Boot times stay un -noticeably the same. Is there some magic bullet to get boot times up. I have only my graphics card and AV enabled in the start up. I understand that the game has grown extensively, but I'm just referring to complete boot up. I mean I can hit start, go to the bathroom #1, and fix a cup of coffee, then return and I'm still waiting for it to completely finish. Is this what Microsoft calls faster, or do I have something else going on I should be looking at. It's been this way since day one. I have done multiply fresh installs. My installs involve doing a complete wipe then reformatting. Just like to know if this is the norm?
Asus ROG g752
Intel® Core™ i7 6700HQ Processor,
DDR4 2133 MHz SDRAM, 12GB,
  • Display
    17.3" 16:9 IPS FHD (1920x1080) Non-Glare LCD Panel
  • Graphic
    NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 965M with 2GB GDDR5 VRAM
  • Storage
    2.5" 9.5mm SATA3*1
    - 1TB HDD 5400/7200 RPM
  • Optical Drive
    DL DVD±RW/CD-RW (On selected models)
    Super-Multi DVD (On selected models)
  • Card Reader
    2 -in-1 card reader ( SD/ SDHC/ SDXC)
  • Camera
    HD Web Camera *1
  • Networking
    Dual-band 802.11 ac or 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac *1
    Built-in Bluetooth™ V4.0+HS *1
    10/100/1000/Gigabits Base T
  • Interface
    1 x Microphone-in jack
    1 x Line-in Jack
    1 x USB 3.1 TYPE C port(s)
    3 x USB 3.0 port(s)
    1 x RJ45 LAN Jack for LAN insert
    1 x Thunderbolt port
    1 x micro SDXC card reader
    1X AC adapter plug
  • Audio
    Built-in Speakers And Array Microphone
    ASUS SonicMaster Technology
    Built-in subwoofer

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
If you want super fast boot up and don't mind spending a few hundred dollars or pounds......get a SSD and at least a 500 GB in size.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Yep, I'd second that - an SSD is going to make a huge difference (and it's generally quite easy to upgrade these on a laptop).

You could also right click the taskbar, go to "task manager" and then take a look at the startup tab. See if you can disable any of those apps with a high start-up impact (as many of these you may not want/need to load each time you boot your PC). It's not going to be anywhere near as effective as switching to an SSD, but may shave a few seconds off. I guess if this is a near clean installation, there won't be much here - but worth mentioning just in case.

Reaction score
SSD. I have a Lenovo Ideapad which was transformed by removing the 500GB 5400 rpm spinner and for under $150 replacing it by a 256Gb Samsung SSD. AND it has much longer life on a charge AND it runs cooler, judging by the air temp coming from the exhaust vent.

Reaction score
SSD is the way to go. Now your laptop is quite newer than mine (10yrs old). With my old "standard HDD" the boot time was about 3-4minutes before I even get to the login screen. With a SSD this time has reduced to about 35 seconds. Since I do not use my optical drive at all anymore I replaced it with a HDD caddy where I put my old drive in (for storage) and installed a SSD (120GB) just for the OS. worked out perfectly for me so far....
SSD's are not that expensive anymore. I use a 120GB Samsung EVO 750 as a system drive but have a 120GB OWC Mercury Electra as well for my other laptop (meanwhile 9yrs old). The speed increase is very much noticable...
Second change I would do and have done is to put the maximum supported amount of RAM in it. It's gonna speed up as well....

Reaction score
Do you know where the boot is being delayed or what is showing on the screen during most of the time.

If it was something prior to the Desktop you might be able to use msconfig.exe to have it create a boot log. Something showing a loading problem may be indicated.

But long boots might mean a driver is not loading well or the system is looking for some network location and can't find it. External devices, such as SD cards or USB devices could cause slowdowns.

You might check the Startup Tab in Task Manager to see if anything looks strange.

Some software you are running may have a problem with Win 10. If the game worked in XP, does it show as usable in Win 10? Did you bring along anything from XP for the game?

And, if the drive is older, it may be failing. Using an SSD is a good idea, but 5 minutes to the log on page would not just be because of an HDD. Check the event viewer to see if any repeating warnings/errors are showing up.

Reaction score
I just checked my Lenovo. Using a stop watch. 11 seconds from power switch to lock screen. Then 15 seconds until the mouse came alive ( it is bluetooth) and the login prompt. W10 Insider 15031
The Lenovo has 4GB ram a 256 GB SSD and a slowish I5 cpu...gen 4 perhaps 2.9 Ghz

So I checked my desktop 22 seconds from power to lock screen and just another second if that for the login prompt.

This old clunker is an Acer mobo with a Gen 2 I7, 8GB ram, 256 GB SD and a 1 TB 7200 rpm spinner W10 1607 726.

Last edited:
Reaction score
That is fast... My HP with a Dual Centrino (T7200) @ 2GHZ and 3.37GB RAM takes about 59 seconds from switching on until the last program is started and CPU load goes down to minimum..

Windows 10 14393.726

Reaction score
I was not timing 'until the last program is started' that would be several seconds more plus the time it would take me to type my 8 char password with one finger.

Reaction score
Bottom line is, a SSD can make the computer significant faster, even a 10yr old one...

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Bottom line is, a SSD can make the computer significant faster, even a 10yr old one...
It will indeed.
The only I have ever had on older computers is that the SATA interface was pre - SATA III so the actual bus speed is a bit slower (SATA I, SATA II)

Ask a Question