Getting the upgrade icon / app

Reaction score
Available for pre-order for $149.99 on August 31st.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0446076&PID=6157437&SID=iacs133rg600xkod00053

Not sure how long that link will stay up and available since Microsoft is still a bit vague about actual release dates and pricing but I thought I would pass it along.

I went ahead and ordered mine.

Hello

This is my first post and I am fairly sure it is in the wrong place so please move it to a better location if necessary, but (a) I could not see how to start a new thread and (b) I could not see an existing discussion of my issue. I had to start somewhere. My question is about how to get the upgrade icon, compatibility app and reservation window, having tried many fixes unsuccessfully. I have seen posts about getting rid of it, but not about getting it in the first place.

clayto

Reaction score
This is my first post and it may well be in the wrong place --- in which case I apologise.

Is there any discussion / guidance on this Forum (as there is elsewhere) on how to get the upgrade to the W10 icon, app and reservation window, for those of us who have tried many fixes without success? If have tried searching for 'upgrade' etc., but get a zero return.

clayto

Reaction score
If you presently are running Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1..............
Go to your Windows Update and look for KB3035583.
You need to install that one which will give you the Get Windows 10 icon like this......
Get Windows 10 icon.jpg

After you get that, click it open and you will be prompted to reserve for a free upgrade to Win 10 RTM on July 29th.

By the way, if you have a qualifying OS (operating system ) such as Win 7 SP1 or Win 8.1, you don't really need that Get Windows 10 app.
Come July 29th, all qualifying Win 7 SP1 and Win 8.1 users will be entitled to a free upgrade to Windows 10 RTM.
The only difference is.....
Those who have made the reservation are "first in line" and Win 10 RTM will be downloaded to their computers automatically. Users will have the choice of when to install.
Those who have no reservations will have to download the Win 10 RTM via Windows Update and then install. That will take quite a while.

Last edited:

Ask a Question