Google Chrome and IE 11 not accessing Web pages

Reaction score
I migrated from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I then found that I had access to 3 web browsers - Edge, Chrome and IE 11.
However, whilst I could access web pages from Edge, I could not access those same pages [in fact ANY pages at all] from Chrome or IE. I just got messages saying the pages were not accessible. My immediate suspicion was some sort of firewall problem, so I turned off the firewall, but the problem persisted. I re-installed Chrome, but that made no difference either. I rebooted the PC, but the problem was still there. I also noted that my VOIP phone application was unable to reach the Web.
It seems very odd that one application [Edge] seems to have full Web access, while three others have none at all.
I cannot think of any setting that would deny access to some apps, but not others. I did check the firewall setting for Chrome, and it said it was giving the application full access.
There is probably a simple explanation for this strange behaviour, but I can't figure it out. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this selective denial of Internet access. Does Edge monopolise the access and somehow exclude the others?!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Does Edge monopolise the access and somehow exclude the others?!
Nope, Edge doesn't do that.
Close all your browsers.
Open control panel and select internet options
Select the "Advanced" tab from along the top
Scroll down to the section header "Security"
Make sure that at a minimum
Use TLS 1.0
Use TLS 1.1
Use TLS 1.2
Are all three checked.
You can try experimenting with the
USE SSL 2.0
USE SSL 3.0
If you would like, but I've not found them necessary so far.
While you are in there you may also want to check your "Connections" tab, LAN settings button and confirm that something hasn't thrown a blackhole proxy setting in there.

Ask a Question