SOLVED GPT or MBR Partition System

Reaction score
I have a new WD 2 TB drive that I will be using completely for Acronis True Image back up of my entire Dell XPS 8920
desktop computer.

When asked if I want to use GPT or MBR partition System (The GPT is already ticked), which would be the best to use
in order to not give me any problems when and if ever I need to restore my back ups to my computer?

The reason this comes with the default of GPT checked I figure by researching is that it is a newer system and you can
partition up to 128 partitions on the larger disc.

Please give me your thoughts on this. I always value the information on this forum. Helped me lots of times.

Thanks

Reaction score
MBR can only do up to 2TB while GPT can do way more than that. I would do GPT as well.

Reaction score
Thanks to both of you for your answer. I had never had a drive larger than 1 TB so I did not even encounter this
as far as I can remember, but at 81 my memory is not as good as it used to be. Unlike my computer, I can't add more memory to help my brain.

I can always count on fellow members to give me good advise

I choose GPT because my computer is not even a year old and think that it surely will support this
type partition.

Thanks

tha

Reaction score
I have a new WD 2 TB drive that I will be using completely for Acronis True Image back up of my entire Dell XPS 8920
desktop computer.

When asked if I want to use GPT or MBR partition System (The GPT is already ticked), which would be the best to use
in order to not give me any problems when and if ever I need to restore my back ups to my computer?

The reason this comes with the default of GPT checked I figure by researching is that it is a newer system and you can
partition up to 128 partitions on the larger disc.

Please give me your thoughts on this. I always value the information on this forum. Helped me lots of times.

Thanks
Most new computers will use GPT and UEFI rather an the old Bios, Acronis is just sticking with the newer profile and allow you to go back to the older MBR. Right now most motherboard will allow you to use the older Bios but after 2020 you will not be able.

Ask a Question