SOLVED Gradually Degrading Preformance

Reaction score
I upgraded from Windows 8 to 10 about eight months ago on a comparatively new laptop.

Initially the system worked fine - but over a period the start up times, file access times are getting longer. Start up can take up 3 minutes, file access times are progressively getting to 2/3 mins.
When trying to load a file in Excel/Word - the first message to appear is Excel/Word not responding. 50/60 secs later the message disappears. And the file starts loading up.
Similar problems when trying to save a file.

Not quite sure whether i should use any of the system cleaners. Can anyone suggest a solution?

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Reaction score
you could try using the Windows built in utility's :

How to use the SFC command utility to fix system files on Windows 10 :- http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sfc-command-utility-fix-system-files-windows-10

How to use DISM command-line utility to repair a Windows 10 image :- http://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-dism-command-line-utility-repair-windows-10-image

Thank you for the suggestions. The instructions for both processes have very comprehensive instructions - but got a clean report on both. Integrity of all files was confirmed. So still looking for a solution

Reaction score
I would try Ccleaner; this will remove junk/left over files on a system. Then I would use a defragger if your laptop has a HDD and not a SSD. I prefer to use Auslogics Disk Defrag. Then if all else fails....backup all your data you want to keep....ie pictures, movies, documents and then do a system reset by either keeping your files or do fresh install of 10.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10startfresh
Have tried CCleaner and Auslogics Defrag - marginal improvement in performance. Not brave enough to try to do a fresh instal of 10. Not sure what risks are involved

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Risk's: You could loose everything. Which is why I said to backup (save - to DVD or large thumb drive) anything you want to keep. Then check the backups (saved) data to make sure it's accessible/works.

Next is to download the MS media creation tool and use the USB option (it's much faster) to reinstall windows 10. Make sure you have your Product key on hand...it may be necessary to input key. You can use Magic Jelly Bean or Belarc Advisor...these will find your product keys for you.

If this were my system and it was running as slow as you say it is....I wouldn't hesitate to do; 1. Reset this PC which will save all your files and then reinstall's OS. Which is all in house from the settings of windows 10. 2. Reset this PC with out saving your files and a clean install of OS. Or 3. using the media creation tool method.

Note: 1 and 2 will use your current Product Key with out any issue at all. I would try option 1 first.

Ask a Question