Graphics Card Suggestions?

Reaction score
Hello, I recently bought a used HP Pavilion p6110y for real cheap, & I want to upgrade it the best I possibly can.Right now I'm focused on buying a new video card, but I'm stuck though, and can't figure out what a suitable, effective graphics card could work best for it.Perhaps something not too pricey? I'm open for ideas though, & will not turn my head at more expensive cards if they're my only options.

So I'd be very happy to hear some suggestions from the forums to gain some better insight.

For the current details/specs on my computer, I took a quick report off the home edition of Everest.So you can check that below. Thanks a bunch for any help! :)

Attachments

• Report.txt
    242.7 KB · Views: 1,088
Reaction score
Sadly, you didn't tell us what your budget is so we really cannot provide any answers. "Not too pricey" especially when followed by "will not turn my head at more expensive cards", doesn't help.

Is the $1499.99 XFX Radeon Pro Duo R9-PROD-8VRW 8GB too pricy? Yes? Well then how about $899.99 for the GTX 980 Ti? Or were you looking for something closer to this $18.99 (after rebate) 8400 GS?

What is totally out of the question for you may not be for someone else.

So you really need to tell us your budget. That said, just about any card will be an improvement over what you have now. For one, it likely will have a better/faster graphics processor. But also, graphics cards come with their own RAM tweaked for graphics processing. When you install the card, that will disable the on-board graphics and more importantly, free up the large chunk of system RAM previously stolen... err... "shared" for graphics processing. So in effect, you get a little boost in system RAM too - a good thing.

The second thing we need to know is the intended purpose for this card. You username suggests gaming, but without stating that, it could just be for reading emails, watching YouTube and updating Facebook. Gaming requires the best card you can afford. If not serious gaming, much lessor (and inexpensive) cards will more than do.

The good news is according to this, your motherboard supports PCIe x 16 so that means just about any modern graphics card will be supported.

The bad news is, those same specs say that computer came with a tiny 250W power supply. And it should be noted that graphics cards are often the most power hungry components in a computer - even more than the CPU. And that power requirement goes up with the price/performance of the card.

So that means you probably (if not definitely) will need to replace the power supply before, or along with a new graphics card (unless, maybe, you get that $19 card). More bad news is HP and Dell are notorious for using proprietary components, including power supplies, on their older systems. While the specs say the motherboard is a micro-ATX, it does not say the PSU is a "standard" ATX, SFF, or low profile or proprietary. This forum post suggests you should be able to go with a standard ATX (the most common) PSU.

Reaction score
Well the problem with upgrading graphics cards on a desktop is you have make sure your power supply is a match for the new card. The powerful gaming machine cards use more power and require a more power power supply.

Reaction score
As for the PSU, if it is a standard size then a 600W PSU is cheap enough and all the cables are standard as well.
A 600W supply will probably power any reasonable priced graphics card ( say an under $300 one)
In my non-gaming experience Nvidia cards have W10 drivers that actually work.

Reaction score
As for the PSU, if it is a standard size then a 600W PSU is cheap enough and all the cables are standard as well.
A 600W supply will probably power any reasonable priced graphics card ( say an under $300 one)
In my non-gaming experience Nvidia cards have W10 drivers that actually work.

No problems here at all with AMD drivers. AMD/ATI is all I have purchased for years and years. Not one problem.

Reaction score
Hi,

That model was introduced by HP in 2009. It sports a PCIex16 version 1 slot. It also has a legacy BIOS and has a factory installed 250 watt power supply.

You could look at Nvidia 600 series (non UEFI) graphics cards and will have to install a 500 watt or greater PS. Both perspective devices will have to fit in the HP supplied chassis.

The processor is dated so you will still have a bottleneck there as well as the bottleneck using the PCIex16 ver1 slot.

So, you want an Legacy graphics card that fits in your chassis, the card must support X16 version 1, and can run on a 250 watt power supply. Or you must also upgrade the power supply if you choose a more powerful card. Lastly, you have a system board bottleneck dictated by the chipset and processor choices available with that chipset.

jaco2x4

Reaction score
What do you plan on doing with it? If you're gaming, then your CPU will be a bottleneck for any mid to high end video card. If you're going to play some less intensive games, I'd recommend a good 400 - 500 watt PSU (EVGA, Corsair), and get a gtx750ti.

Reaction score
Note that Jake B dredged up a dormant thread from June the OP has never returned to. The issue of adequate PSU power was brought up months ago. The OP needs to come back and answer the already raised questions, or we just let this thread sink back down to the depths.

Reaction score
Note that Jake B dredged up a dormant thread from June the OP has never returned to. The issue of adequate PSU power was brought up months ago. The OP needs to come back and answer the already raised questions, or we just let this thread sink back down to the depths.
Lol, I didn't even notice.

Reaction score
Lol, I didn't even notice.
Easy to miss when the most recent reply is recent. But to avoid repeating something already suggested I try to remember to go back to beginning to (1) see what the OP really said and (2) see what has already been suggested.

Ask a Question