Grayed out WiFi icon

Reaction score
Yes, I've been experimenting with WIN 10. Yes, I'm finding all sorts of little quarks and idiosyncrasies. That's why we have it, yes?

The latest is this: In my twirling of knobs and flicking of switches I've managed to nuke the WiFi icon on the task bar. It's there, but it's grayed out and no longer works. At first I'd get a hideous blue panel down the right edge of my desktop that was mostly blank space but with the few local networks listed. And, I could connect to a network just fine. So, it was working well at first. Now, nothing.

I thought I'd disabled my WiFi, but as you can see I can still connect to the 'Net and log onto this forum (and everything else too, for that matter). But to do so I need to right-click the WiFi icon (Surprise, surprise! That part still works. I have no idea why.) and go through the Network and Sharing Center.

So, what would do this? I've looked through the Services menu and can't recognize anything amiss. I've run the Troubleshooter a dozen times with no joy. I've looked at every Preferences and Properties menu that I can find associated with anything having to do with network connections and my laptop's hardware and Windows' software. And oif course, there's nothing in the taskbar properties box that's any good at all.

Suggestions anybody? A list of places to look? Something that would disable the icon display without disabling the hardware or fundamental software?

I'd really hate to have to endure the ordeal of reinstalling the OS over something as silly as this.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do a re-install....all you should have to do is "Reset this PC" from settings/update&security/recovery and select reset this PC. This will/should keep all your data/settings and then re-installs the OS

Reaction score
The problem could be in your router, not with the OS.

But first, are you certain you are connecting through your own router, and not through a LAN? Your third para mystifies me: Are you using Ethernet or wireless? . Quote " thought I'd disabled my WiFi, but as you can see I can still connect to the 'Net and log onto this forum (and everything else too, for that matter"

But if you are able, look in your router and lower the security from AES (in WPA) to WPA (TKIP), and see if it make a difference.
fwiw. The Blue panel you mentioned, with several connections showing is where you should set a connection to your own wifi or Ethernet. But, are you using this at home, or in an intensive environment. Under most normal, home, environments, it should show basically, your wireless connection, and, possibly, that of neighbouring routers, and your Ethernet connection.

Reaction score
You shouldn't have to do a re-install....all you should have to do is "Reset this PC" from settings/update&security/recovery and select reset this PC. This will/should keep all your data/settings and then re-installs the OS

The last time I tried this I ended up having to re-install the entire OS. If I have to, I will. I'm actually getting quite adept at it! :)

The point is my learning how to solve the focal problem: what went wrong and how to fix it. Resetting/re-installing teaches me nothing.

But thanks for your interest and contribution.

Reaction score
The problem could be in your router, not with the OS.

But first, are you certain you are connecting through your own router, and not through a LAN?

I am absolutely positive that I'm not connecting through my router. I am sitting in a Dairy Queen in Rockyford, Alberta, using their WiFi. My home router is 39 km away.

Your third para mystifies me: Are you using Ethernet or wireless? . Quote " thought I'd disabled my WiFi, but as you can see I can still connect to the 'Net and log onto this forum (and everything else too, for that matter"...

Wireless. WiFi is wireless. But, that sentence should have read "... thought that I had accidentally disabled my WiFi..." Sorry. My laptop's battery was getting low as I was composing and sending that post, and I didn't have time to proofread it very carefully.

But if you are able, look in your router and lower the security from AES (in WPA) to WPA (TKIP), and see if it make a difference. ...

I am running a dual boot machine. I can reboot under WIN 8.1 and EVERYTHING runs exactly the way it should. I get a "blue panel" with all sorts of potential connections. And, I can connect to a bunch of them. So, all the hardware between the keyboard and the rest of the planet is working just fine. The problem isn't a networking problem. The problem is in the little gray icon, and it's only a half problem because at least half the icon's function works. (See my original posting above regarding the right-click function.) It's almost surely a software or settings problem, not with the network, but with the icon.

fwiw. The Blue panel you mentioned, with several connections showing is where you should set a connection to your own wifi or Ethernet. But, are you using this at home, or in an intensive environment. Under most normal, home, environments, it should show basically, your wireless connection, and, possibly, that of neighbouring routers, and your Ethernet connection.

Exactly. But I can't get to that blue panel with Win 10 because the icon isn't working properly. (I can, however, easily get to it when running WIN 8.1.) Also, I have no Ethernet connection. Only wireless (WiFi). I'm retired, live in a motorhome, and travel a lot. (Certified, registered, card carrying, snowbird here!) Ethernet isn't possible. WiFi is practical because I can log on at any McDonald's and a lot of other hotspots.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Personally, if it works, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
I suppose that it is conceivable that at some point, Windows 10 (through the Windows Update feature) installed a driver that is less than optimal for your particular hardware and as a result you are experiencing this issue.
I suppose you could check the driver in Device manager and see if there is a Rollback option available, or.....
Manually install the latest driver for your specific wireless adapter ( I don't see anywhere, where you've actually identified it) and see if that helps the problem.
Usually from the laptop manufacturer or from the actual wireless adapter manufacturer is going to be the best source for the latest driver available for your specific hardware.

Windows 10 seems to have a way, with installing drivers that can cause some problems in functionality, as we've all (at least a lot of us) have experienced at one time or another.
With the RTM (for Microsoft Partners) coming in the next few days and the General Availability Release three weeks from tomorrow and a new build or two for windows insiders likely (who knows when), I don't know if I would spend much time wrestling with it.

Reaction score
As I hinted. You are in an internet café environment. It is a security issue, but not one, as Trouble says, for you to concern yourself about The grey icon is the default(in Windows 10) if you are in such a public café. . You are, of course, running through a router, but not yours.
But, for your interest, you can also see the available connections by opening the settings - Network and internet - manage wifi settings.

Ask a Question