SOLVED Group Programs Together

Reaction score
In Windows 8 and 8.1 I was able to create groups so I could group all my Bible prorams together and do likewise with my office type programs, Utilities, etc. I cant figure out how to do that here in Windows 10. Could someone enlighten me?

Michael

Reaction score
Just finished searching around and I couldn't figure out a way to do it. I'm guessing that you want to create a folder in the start menu and move related programs into it.

Reaction score
It is something I do, also. You have to got to the start menu .here:

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

and make your folders and move things into them as you wish. They will then appear in the same way in the OS start menu
Later. Just thought - maybe a little picture of something as an example, that I have rushed up. This is , so far, my Office folder:

office.png

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not something I had to do on the left. The install handled that part for me.
On the right, it is still basically the same, drag the tiles you want into a group, click the header and give it a name by typing whatever you want
StartMenu.png

Reaction score
Hey. You've got me there, Randy. I can't move those tiles apart. Actually, your start menu picture is quite a bit different to mine!

Truth is, I don't even use the new start menu, I am using the alternative - modern start screen:

moern.png

OK. Found I had a "stretchable" mod on the start screen which stopped me. The mod thatbrestores the earlier expandable start menu.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I must be dumber that an oyster. Getting no where! I typed in the address originally given ( C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs ) and created a test folder called "Test It Now" and placed Microsoft Word in it. All appeared to work ok but when I switch back to the new windows interface the new group was nowhere to be found. I can rename exiting groups ok and move programs into the group but cannot add or delete groups. as another user has already mentioned, my start menu doesn't resemble the one show. Also user mentioned he found that his he found start screen was in stretchable mod. How do I check for this?

Michael

Reaction score
Hi Michael. Two things you need to complete. !. Go back through the path to the start menu . Click your new folder and "Pin to start."

Sign out and in again and you will find the folder.

Reaction score
Hi Michael. Two things you need to complete. !. Go back through the path to the start menu . Click your new folder and "Pin to start."

Sign out and in again and you will find the folder.
This worked but still isn't what I am looking for. Perhaps my terminology is part of my problem. What I want to do is to create a new "Tile group" (Currently showing four by default) and drag related programs into it after they are pinned. (I can drag them into one of the original groups and even rename the group). For instance, I want to create a new tile group for Bible Application and one say, for Office Applications. Then when I pen Microsoft Word and Microsoft Outlook to my tiled screen, I then want to drag them into the new Office Application Tile group. Probably muddying the water even more but does this make and can it be done. I seemed to be able to do something like this in Windows 8 and 8.1. I had tile groups for Office Applications, Utilities, Browsers, Bible Applications, etc.

Michael

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Let's try this again.
I'm not sure that all the functionality that you require is actually available presently in the new Tile Menu / Start Menu, But.......
Start by right click Microsoft Word in the "All Apps Menu" and choosing "Pin To Start"
Now on the right side you should see "Word" which you have just pinned.
Now hover your cursor just above that and click once and you should see a text box appear where in you can type a heading for your new tile group. Something like "Office Apps" or whatever you like.
Does that work for you??

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good to hear you've managed to resolve your issue.
Thanks for posting back and updating your thread with that information.
You're very welcome and we hope to continue to see you around the forum.
Regards
Randy

Ask a Question