SOLVED GRUB prevents upgrade to win 10

Reaction score
Hi guys , I ran into a problem when i was upgrading to windows 10 enterprise version and i need your help, i have a dell inspiron notebook on dualboot : ubuntu and win 7 using grub bootloader , i really wanted an upgrade to win10 from my win7 but whenever i run the upgade setup it always get stuck when it attempts restarting the computer because GRUB will always takeover the reboot, when i try to access my win7 again it would just show some error code and then restore my previous win7 configuration , currently it seems like i'll never get this upgrade until i remove the grub thingy but its still important to me because i always use it in my programming classes and can't afford to lose it , i'll really appreciate if anyone of you can give me some tips on how i could get my upgrade working.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.

Reaction score
Is that 'error code' a KB number? If so what does that tell you? Does this PC have the option of using UEFI or classic Bios? I do remember some notes around UEFI when it came out and dual boot systems.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
The first thing I would recommend is to make a Disk Image of your entire hard drive before going forward. Then mount the disk image and confirm that it is viable by inspecting the contents in File Explorer, confirming you can open file (docs, music, images, etc.), to confirm that you have a strong fall back option.
Then you will likely have to .....
1. Use the Windows installation media and run Startup Repair to fix the Windows boot configuration files....
WARNING: This will remove GRUB as your boot loader
After a successful upgrade of Windows to Windows 10 (if that is really what you want to do)
2. Repair GRUB as described here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Reaction score
Hi guys , I ran into a problem when i was upgrading to windows 10 enterprise version and i need your help, i have a dell inspiron notebook on dualboot : ubuntu and win 7 using grub bootloader , i really wanted an upgrade to win10 from my win7 but whenever i run the upgade setup it always get stuck when it attempts restarting the computer because GRUB will always takeover the reboot, when i try to access my win7 again it would just show some error code and then restore my previous win7 configuration , currently it seems like i'll never get this upgrade until i remove the grub thingy but its still important to me because i always use it in my programming classes and can't afford to lose it , i'll really appreciate if anyone of you can give me some tips on how i could get my upgrade working.

Thanks in advance,
Andy.
Hi Andy,

I've installed Win10 on dual booting Dell: Win10 & Ubuntu (3times), two were successful.
When installing, you need to watch for GRUB comming up, when it displays you have 4 seconds to move GRUB to the Windows, but it will still say Win7. It will then install. But during install every time Win10 does a restart, YOU must select Grub Win7. Otherwise you know what happens.

Hope this was helpful & you get dual booting OK.

Frank McCaffery

Reaction score
Does this PC have the option of using UEFI or classic Bios?
actually about this am not very sure but i have a feeling it doesn't it's really an old one {inspiron 1545}.
about the error code i will be uploading a screenshoot in a minute. Thanks TIM for helping.

Reaction score
Is that 'error code' a KB number? If so what does that tell you? Does this PC have the option of using UEFI or classic Bios? I do remember some notes around UEFI when it came out and dual boot systems.

Does this PC have the option of using UEFI or classic Bios?
actually about this am not very sure but i have a feeling it doesn't it's really an old one {inspiron 1545}.
about the error code i will be uploading a screenshot in a minute. Thanks TIM for helping.

Reaction score
W
The first thing I would recommend is to make a Disk Image of your entire hard drive before going forward. Then mount the disk image and confirm that it is viable by inspecting the contents in File Explorer, confirming you can open file (docs, music, images, etc.), to confirm that you have a strong fall back option.
Then you will likely have to .....
1. Use the Windows installation media and run Startup Repair to fix the Windows boot configuration files....
WARNING: This will remove GRUB as your boot loader
After a successful upgrade of Windows to Windows 10 (if that is really what you want to do)
2. Repair GRUB as described here
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoveringUbuntuAfterInstallingWindows

Wow excellent Bro ... this sounds brilliant and its first on my checklist, let see if i'll go by this .

Reaction score
Hi Andy,

I've installed Win10 on dual booting Dell: Win10 & Ubuntu (3times), two were successful.
When installing, you need to watch for GRUB comming up, when it displays you have 4 seconds to move GRUB to the Windows, but it will still say Win7. It will then install. But during install every time Win10 does a restart, YOU must select Grub Win7. Otherwise you know what happens.

Hope this was helpful & you get dual booting OK.

Frank McCaffery

If you have done it before things might get good for me ... but if i remember correctly i might not have seen this "when it displays you have 4 seconds to move GRUB " i also did select win7 evrytime and it always gave me an error, but maybe i wasn't very keen ... am giving this a trial just now see if i end there, if it happens like you said then i'll be on the safe side . Thanks Franc.

Last edited:

Ask a Question